Former Radcliffe Trustee Stanley Miller Dead at 68

Stanley Miller '52, a local entrepreneur and former member of Radcliffe College's Board of Trustees, died of lymphoma last Friday at his Newton home. He was 68.

In addition to his service to Radcliffe, Miller was a past president of the Harvard Club of Boston.

A lifelong Boston-area resident, Miller graduated from the Boston Latin school in 1948 and from the College in 1952 before attending Harvard Business School.

Miller founded two real estate companies, Space Makers and Realty Financial Partners. He was also a partner in Congress Realty Companies.

He was known not only for his business sense but also for his altruism and public service.

Upon moving from Boston to Newton in 1957 after three years with the Coast Guard, Miller undertook a number of projects to improve his new community.

At various times, Miller ran both the Newton Planning Board and Park Commission and the Newton United Fund, which he co-chaired with his wife, Helaine.

In 1963, he received the Junior Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Service Award for Outstanding Community Service in recognition of his efforts.

In addition to being president of the Harvard Club of Boston, he headed the Boston Latin School Alumni Association.

Nancy M. B. Poon '01, who also attended Boston Latin, met Miller through his work at the school. Poon, who is also a Crimson editor, said Miller's generosity was obvious from his request that funeral attendees make donations to a variety of charity funds rather than buy flowers.

"He was a kind man who cared about Boston Latin and Harvard," Poon said.

In addition to his community service and charity work, Miller was also a longtime member of Radcliffe's Board of Trustees, which was dissolved last year after the merger of Harvard and Radcliffe.

Jane E. Tewksbury '74, who served on the board with Miller, called him "a true friend of Radcliffe who will be sorely missed."

Amey A. De Friez '49, the Board's former chair, worked with Miller until her 1990 retirement.

"He oversaw finances and was a thoughtful trustee," De Friez said. "He was friendly, outgoing and generous with his time."

De Friez said Miller was an uncommonly gracious man.

"One time, an abandoned child was left on his doorstep, and he and his wife made sure it was provided for," De Friez said. "Of all the doorsteps in Newton to be left on, that was probably the best one."

In addition to his wife, Miller is survived by his son, Bradley; two daughters, Shelley Miller Bernson and Beth Miller; his sister Sandra Wilensky and his grandson, Edward Field Bernson.

Funeral services were held Sunday at Newton's Temple Shalom.