Vartan Gregorian on Harvard

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan, Crimson Staff Writer

Vartan Gregorian, the President of the Carnegie Corporation of New York and an authority on higher education, recently spoke to The Crimson about a number of issues Harvard will soon have to face.

Gregorian, who was president of Brown University from 1989-1997, is well known as an educator and fundraiser. His popularity with Brown students is legendary.

He is well respected by his colleagues in both education and various philanthropic organizations, including the Annenberg Foundation.

Born in Iran, he attended the College Armenien in Lebanon, where he received a degree in Armenian studies in 1955.

After receiving a scholarship for international study, Gregorian headed to Stanford University. In two years, he completed a bachelor's degree in history and humanities. He also received a doctorate at Stanford.

Gregorian was an administrator at various institutions before becoming provost of the University of Pennsylvania.

In 1988, four years after receiving an honorary degree from Brown University for his work at the New York Public Library, the university's corporation chose him to be Brown's next president.

While at Brown, Gregorian led a capital campaign that nearly doubled the university's endowment. He also taught classes and began the President's Lecture Series, which brought prominent speakers to Brown. Three years ago, he resigned to head the Carnegie Corporation, which provided about $60 million in grants annually to promote education.

Recently, his successor, E. Gordon Gee, stunned the Brown community by resigning after only a brief period at the helm. A week ago, Gregorian told The Crimson his views on these issues.

THC: What do you think of the recent events at Brown? Your successor's resignation?

VG: I was stunned. There is a difference between universities and corporations. In one case you like to do well. In the other you like to do good. THC: What are 10 things Harvard should be worried about?

VG: Harvard is the oldest University in our country. One of the greatest. One of the greatest universities in the world. Harvard has always provided research in different fields... sometimes taking a new path or new direction, new vistas of research in science or social sciences.

Historically, Harvard has also dictated the nation's intellectual agenda.... Harvard under [President Charles W.] Eliot, that was curriculum. Harvard under [President James] Conant dictated what America should do with the postwar era. The G.I. bill. What American's high schools should be.

Harvard is not about wealth. It's about government and leadership. It has enduring importance, because with wealth, with power, with eminence comes responsibility, not just to Harvard alone, but also the nation and the world."

[Gregorian points out that President Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote, "to those whom much is given, much is expected," in his senior essay at Harvard.]

VG: That's a very important component at Harvard...I expect leadership,challenges and a moral, intellectual stance from Harvard, Harvard's leaders toprovide leadership to higher education and K-12 education. Harvard of the 21st centuryhas to continue to provide ourcountry with intellectual leadership, educational leadership. We have plentyof managers. We don't have many leaders.

Because of its eminent position,Harvard can influence [the nation] by taking dramatic stances. On issues important to thenation--public education, ethics in government, problems of world poverty,foundations of democracy and dignity, issues of endemic poverty--ithas to put those issues on the nation's agenda.

THC: And you don't think we're doing this now?

VG: ...I think the Kennedy School does an adequate job. I think Neil Rudenstine has tried and done some good. But I'm talking about Harvard only speaking out occasionally. Whatever Harvard does has an impact on the rest of higher education. Harvard has to speakout.

It's not only Harvard, but all of us [universities]. We're involved in fundraising, alumniaffairs. All of us, the [university] presidents in the same category. Sometimes we forgetthe nation's affairs. It's urgent that presidents of Harvard speak up becauseof anti-intellectualism in the country.

There is a great deal of disdain,and therefore we have to reassert our moral authority. Moral authorityshould not be left for religious leaders alone. As educators, we have anobligation to set the moral tone of the nation.

THC: Can you elaborate?

VG:...Wecrave values. We crave meaning. We crave leadership. Education is not justtraining people... Academics have become isolationists. Generation X appliesto faculties of universities, not just students.

For the health of our universities,they have to lead rather than purely manage.Especially Harvard, being the best and most renowned, has this obligation thrust upon it. With power comes responsibility. That responsibility is not to Harvard alone, but tothe nation and the world.

I believe higher education should be higher education not h-i-r-e education. If you haveh-i-r-e education, you constantly have to re-train people...There are intrinsic qualities thatcannot be quantified... a cultured mind. Education is sometimes great for its ownsake. The emphasis should not be on earning power alone. That's not what education is about.