Fencing Falls in H-Y-P Meet

By Mackie Dougherty, Contributing Writer

Last Saturday, the Harvard men's and women's fencing teams traveled to Yale to duel against Yale and Princeton.

The men (2-7, 0-5 Ivy) went into this weekend bloodied from a rough start but optimistic for the coming meets against the Bulldogs (7-3, 2-2 Ivy) and the Tigers (12-3, 4-0 Ivy).

The Crimson dropped both matches, losing a close meet to Yale, 15-12, and to Princeton, 16-11.

"The men showed a lot of promise" captain Eugene Cha said.

Unfortunately for the Crimson, this team effort was not enough to slay the competition this past weekend.

The brightest note for the Crimson was captain Davin Chew's 3-0 performance against Yale using the Epee.

Chew beat Yale's star captain Ayo Griffin, a senior, in a huge upset. In addition, Harvard's Mark Lee lost a very close match to Griffin, 5-4.

"We did quite well this past weekend," Cha said. "We're looking to keep this momentum going for the IFA championships on Saturday."

On the women's side, the Crimson (7-6, 1-4 Ivy) also fell 19-8 in both matches against Yale (7-2, 4-1 Ivy) and Princeton (15-2, 5-0 Ivy).

"We're in a restarting season," captain Elizabeth Aranow said. "We really pulled together as a team at this match."

The women's epee squad had a very good weekend, posting a win against Yale and losing a close match to Princeton.

The women's team has little time to regroup with the upcoming Intercollegiate Fencing Association championships this Saturday.

In other action at Yale this past weekend, Princeton and Yale fenced for the Ivy championship on both the men's and women's sides.

Yale defeated Princeton for the women's title, but Princeton captured the men's crown.