Kendall-MIT: All Quiet on the South-Eastern Front

The abandoned warehouses and factories stand on the western side of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) campus, testament to an era when this section of south-east Cambridge was known for its industrial might rather than Internet start-up companies.

But the new norm in and around MIT and Kendall Square are high-tech firms housed in office buildings that have taken over Broadway Street, coming ever closer to the campus itself.

But while new businesses are a boom to the local economy, local residents say the Kendall-MIT neighborhood still suffers from a paltry night-life, a lack of small businesses and a disjointed community.

Moving Up

The new look of Kendall has evolved over the past 10 years, starting with increased construction and business growth after the recession of the early '90s, and recently intensifying with the proliferation of Internet and software based companies.

And MIT has acted as the impetus for this change, providing the human and technological resources to jumpstart local companies and revitalize the business district.

"This neighborhood used to be a dump, basically garages and such," says Moses Katz, a local Middle Easter food vendor who has worked in the area for 25 years. "[Kendall Square] has become a high class, high technology place."

Working on the Night Shift?

Recommended Articles

Lost in the Blur of the Changing Square
This year’s graduating seniors will be the last class to have known The Tasty, a diner that served up greasy
Court Postpones Fight On Local NASA Bid
Cambridge businesses suffered another defeat Thursday in their fight to prevent the City from acquiring land in Kendall Square under
LBJ to Allot Space Center $17.6 Million
President Johnson has requested $17.6 million for Cambridge's National Aeronautics and Space Administration electronics research center in the fiscal 1965
House Panel Lets NASA Keep Money
The House Space Committee yesterday narrowly defeated a motion that have long delayed--and possibly -- construction of the $60 million
Hard Times for Planners in East Cambridge
K ENDALL SQUARE is in the middle of things. Just down Main Street across the Longfellow Bridge loom the skyscrapers
Cambridge: A City of Squares
Cambridge geography has always been a bit mystifying. The Charles River should be your natural point of orientation. But it