The Party Lines Vs. From the Ranks

By The CRIMSON Staff, Crimson Staff Writers

Kennedy School of Government:

The Party Line:

"It's a transition. In time we're going to glean so many benefits...All implementations are bumpy. We're so lucky that we have the resources to deal with bumps."

--Thomas G. Kelley, Project ADAPT implementation coordinator at the Kennedy School

From the Ranks:

"The STAR [travel] system has not met anyone's expectations."

--Daniel S. Brody '71, assistant dean for financial management at the Kennedy School, also a Crimson editor.

Graduate School of Education:

The Party Line:

"Everything I do is implemented by Project ADAPT...I think they're great. In all areas it's at least as good [as the previous system]; in some areas it's much better."

--Robert Gewecke, director of fiscal and administrative services at the Graduate School of Education.

From the Ranks:

"It's a mess. Personally, I don't understand it, and the people who work with me say it's a pain in the neck...People aren't happy."

--Professor of Education and Social Policy Gary Orfield

Graduate School of Design:

The Party Line:

"Our transition here at the Design School went really well because we had a lot of meetings here to get everybody ready for the transition....There's been some adjustment which is never easy. But I certainly wouldn't say that the hassle has outweighed the benefits."

--Assistant Director of Computer Resources Paul B. Cote

From the Ranks:

"The problem is that all the systems and programs that we have to use keep crashing and they're slow and they're not reliable. When the systems are in place I think it's going to be a big improvement, but when the systems are not in place it's a big hassle."

--Molly Howard, office manager and assistant to the chair of the department of urban planning and design

Law School

From the Ranks:

"When it first came in there were a few little snags in the beginning, but I think overall it has been a really good way...There seem to be fewer problems."

--Carol A. Igoe, staff assistant

School of Public Health:

The Party Line:

"When Project ADAPT began, rather than scrap our existing system and all our experience, we adapted our system to Project ADAPT. As a result, we now have access to a wider variety of electron transactions and data."

--Robin Herman, Director of Communications

From the Ranks:

"I guess I have to say the problems that I have had have been the problems of a new computer application. The problems are things that need to be made more perfect."

--Deborah A. Carmel, manager of cost accounting.

Medical School

The Party Line:

"The new system lets central administrators at the med school comply with a whole bunch of federal regulations that we just couldn't comply with before we had better management info."

-- Cynthia L. Walker, associate dean of finance

From the Ranks:

"It was necessary to do because of the central needs of compliance and Y2K, but it has not been a time-saver. It has the potential to be a wonderful system, but we aren't there yet."

--Gayle S. Wolf, senior financial manager in the cellular biology department

Harvard Business School:

The Party Line:

"It was a difficult project, but the transaction systems are working well.

Relative to other projects that I've been involved with, it went as well as possible... We actually haven't had that many major challenges at the B-school. Are they perfect? No. Are they functional and working? Yes."

-- Donella M. Rapier,

chief financial officer

From the Ranks:

"My assistant uses it. I don't think she likes it at all. I've heard a lot of complaints."

--Jerry R. Greene, Leverett Professor in the University and Wells Professor of

Political Economy

Harvard Divinity School

The Party Line:

"Some of the systems work more efficiently than others, and ADAPT systems project teams are working continuously to interface with end users and respond to requests and suggestions for improvements."

Alyson J. Conover, finance and operations administrator

From the Ranks:

"Some of [the problem] is the learning curve but not all of it...It takes more time to do data entry, and it isn't very clear. It's a lot more cumbersome."

-- Cheryl L. Frodermann, administrative assistant