Album Review: The Mekons, Journey to the End of the Night

By Yvonne Garcia, Contributing Writer

The Mekons

Journey to the End of the Night

(Quarterstick)

Journey to the End of the Night

(Quarterstick)

After more than 20 years in the music business, the Mekons have redefined their sound yet again. Formed in 1979, this British group began as a punk band, but Journey to the End of the Night, their first full-length release in two years, retains few of those roots. Experimenting with a blend of folk and alternative sound, the Mekons bring melancholic, brooding melodies to light. Unfortunately, the album's new material falls short of the expectations one would have of a band with such history.

Although the songs on the album each have a distinct sound, a few tracks seem out of place. "The Flood" incorporates an industrial sound that just doesn't fit the rest of the album, contrasting sharply with the next two tracks, "Cast No Shadows" and "Ordinary Night," both of which are quiet, meditative songs that could almost lull one to sleep. But the album does contain some promising music. Noteworthy tracks include "Last Weeks of the War" and "City of London," the latter of which contains traces of the Mekons' punk roots. The melodic voice of Sally Timms also deserves much praise; it's a shame she doesn't sing the lead vocals for more of the songs. B-