Mayor Galluccio Leads First Cambridge City Council Meeting

Council gives money for library site, city public T.V.

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

The Cambridge City Council allocated thousands of dollars last night to projects which included finding a suitable site for a proposed library and improving Cambridge cable television.

At the meeting, which was the first headed by Cambridge Mayor Anthony D. Galluccio, the council quickly approved the appropriations in the City Manager's consent agenda and addressed no new business.

The main discussion of the evening focused on funding for the library and cable upgrades.

Assistant City Manager Richard C. Rossi explained the city needs the $10,000 in order to narrow down the group of 32 possible sites for the proposed library.

And council members said they hoped the allocation would help bring an end to the long search process.

"I am so prayerful that by the end of the month we can make a decision on this library," said Councillor Kenneth E. Reeves '72.

The council also approved an order to hold a special meeting on April 5 to discuss the library site.

The second major discussion of the evening focused on the allocation of $50,000 to improve operations of the city's cable television, which currently broadcasts all council meetings as well as various events in Cambridge.

"There are so many events [in Cambridge]," Galluccio said. "It would be great if people could see them."

"I hope we can liven up the cable presentation a bit," Born added.

Councilors proposed installing projection screens in Sullivan Chamber, where council meetings are held, in order to allow for easy graphic presentations. Members also recommended expanding cable coverage to school board meetings.

Galluccio's appointments for the city council's numerous committees were made public last night in the council's agenda packet.

Committees cover finance to economic development to civic unity and are where the bulk of council's work is done.

This year's councillors serve on anywhere from two to nine of the 14 total committees.

"I met with all of the individual councillors last week," Galluccio said after the meeting. "This is the first regular meeting, and I am happy to say that the committees are assigned."

New councilors will lead several major committees.

First-term councillor Jim Braude will chair the housing committee as well as the government operations, rules and claims committee. And first-term member Marjorie C. Decker will chair the neighborhood and long term planning committee.

The ordinance committee will be co-chaired by Kathleen L. Born and first-term member David P. Maher while the finance committee will be led by Michael L. Sullivan.

"I believe that this is a fair representation of what the councillors would like to work on," Galluccio said. "It puts to use the energy and capabilities of all of the individual councillors."

The council will not be meeting next week so that members can attend the Annual Congressional Cities Conference in Washington, D.C., a weekend meeting of mayors and council members from across the nation.