PSLM Defies HUPD, Occupies Byerly Hall for Six Hours

Living wage protest disrupts welcome for '04

By Garrett M. Graff and Robert K. Silverman, Crimson Staff Writerss

Risking arrest and disciplinary action by the Administrative Board, about 30 members of the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) occupied Byerly Hall for six hours on Friday to attract the attention of visiting prospective first-years and promote their campaign for a living wage at Harvard.

Members refused to heed requests by the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) that they leave the building.

Instead, they spent the afternoon handing leaflets to pre-frosh and their parents, answering questions and holding scripted "teach-ins" every hour between 12 and 6 p.m. about the group's goal of winning a minimum $10.25 hourly wage for all Harvard employees.

They did not attempt to interfere with the normal workings of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid, which is housed in Byerly Hall.

Administrators in charge of pre-frosh weekend were outraged at first when the protesters entered Byerly Hall, but later they attempted to put a positive spin on the demonstration.

"This is outrageous. I'm willing to tolerate this for a couple of minutes, but they can't stay here," said Director of Admissions Marilyn McGrath Lewis '70-'73 when she first encountered the demonstrators.

But two hours later, McGrath Lewis said in an interview that the protests were "not a problem" and served as an educational experience for the pre-frosh.

"It's giving students a pretty good idea of a current issue at the College," she said.

William R. Fitzsimmons '67, dean of admissions and financial aid, said during the same interview that he was pleased that prospective first-year students had the opportunity to see Harvard in a realistic light.

"One of the things we don't like is that often these visits can be very sanitized and very unrealistic," he said. "Really what we want people to do is get a sense of the fabric of everyday life at Harvard, and this is a part of it."

Protesters entered the building at noon and created immediate chaos as they attempted to post signs and set up a folding table.

Staff members seemed unsure how to react as PSLM member Benjamin L. McKean '02 presented them with a letter declaring the group's intentions to abide by the guidelines established by the College's "Resolution on Rights and Responsibilities," but not to leave until 6 p.m.

The letter claimed that the protest was within the bounds of the University's free speech regulations, despite the fact that PSLM members were inside an administrative building.

Several HUPD units arrived within minutes, but after meeting with administrators they decided not to force the protesters to leave the building as long as the demonstration remained non-disruptive and administrators did not feel threatened.

"After conferring with the deans, [they decided] as long as there were no further disruptions to them, they would allow them to stay until 6," said HUPD Chief Francis D. "Bud" Riley.

In the course of the protest, about 10 members of PSLM erected and staffed a welcoming table outside Byerly Hall, complete with flyers, chips and salsa, while the remaining 20 lined the corridor inside the admissions office, holding signs and speaking to pre-frosh.

Fitzsimmons said demonstrators were "civil and polite" and did not disrupt the routine of the office.

But some staff workers said the protest did make their jobs more difficult.

"It's kind of disruptive, as much as I understand what they're saying," said Johanna P. Hoyt, a staff member. 'They could be outside."

While they attempted to avoid interrupting the duties of staffers, PSLM members said it was their intention to disrupt the overall message of pre-frosh weekend.

"It throws a wrench in their PR machine," said McKean, who is also a Crimson editor. "[Pre-frosh weekend] represents a moment of extreme vulnerability for the administration--they [have] people here they desperately want to impress."

McKean said the group also wanted to begin educating incoming Harvard students as soon as possible.

"It's extremely important to let next year's freshmen know about the situation on campus," he said.

McKean said the group received an "overwhelmingly positive" reaction from most pre-frosh.

He said they were receptive to the group's demands and seemed eager for more information.

Many pre-frosh said they agreed with PSLM's call for a living wage.

"Frankly, the fact the University hasn't already [granted a living wage] disgusts me," said Jennifer S. Axsom, a visiting high school senior.

Others said they were impressed that students could demonstrate so freely.

"When you stop and think about it, it shows that the University gives students an opportunity to speak out on an issue they care about," said Javier A. Valle.

Valle, who is still deciding between schools, said the demonstration improved his view of Harvard.

"It's a little intimidating as you walk through the door, but it's good to see students have a voice," he said.

PSLM has targeted prospective first-years in the past. At last year's event, activists interrupted President Neil L. Rudenstine's welcoming address to present him with a "Worst Employer in Boston" certificate.

At this year's address, Rudenstine said, "One of the great things about Harvard is that students can do more or less whatever they want," in response to a question about Friday's protest.

While Lewis said she anticipated some type of action at this year's pre-frosh weekend, she said she was surprised by the protesters' choice.

"We expected it, but not at Byerly Hall," she said.