New BGLTSA Board Vows Inclusive Atmosphere

By Parker R. Conrad, Crimson Staff Writer

Albert H. Cho '02 has never served on the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) executive board. Michael A. Hill '02 was a co-chair last year.

But both were elected as co-chairs on Monday night and both said they want to make the BGLTSA's image more inclusive and less divisive.

"Lots of people, including myself, have criticized the BGLTSA for being offensive, unresponsive and irresponsible," Cho wrote in his pre-election position statement.

"I am running for election because it's time to put my money where my mouth is and make a difference."

Cho and Hill said they hope to reinstate regular community meetings to help make the BGLTSA more user-friendly.

"I think there's a perception that the BGLTSA hasn't been very welcoming of input from its membership," Cho said. "I'm not sure where it comes from. I hope to make people feel comfortable in coming to us to tell us what we should be doing. You can't go wrong with listening."

Cho is a relative newcomer to the BGLTSA. In a phone interview, he stumbled over the group's tongue-twisting acronym.

This month's election comes after a tumultuous year for the BGLTSA.

A non-affiliated support group, Beyond Our Normal Differences (BOND), was formed in response to BGLTSA postering campaigns that many members of the gay community characterized found lewd and offensive.

Posters placed around the yard on National Coming Out Day in October asked students whether they had "ever tasted their own menstrual fluid." Another noted that "every tenth Jesus is gay."

"I think a lot of people were turned off by tactics and image that they didn't feel they had a part in creating, and that didn't necessarily represent them or their interests," Cho said.

Dan Tremetiere '03, who is on the BGLTSA's board, ran the elections this year and was optimistic about their result.

"Mike has a lot of experience, he's been in the position for a long time and knows a great deal about the day to day operations of the board," he said. "Albert is new, he's fresh. He's very optimistic and has a lot of new ideas."

This week's election also saw the installment of several uncontested positions on the group's board.

Stephen P. Brumbaugh '02 and Christopher E. Holloway '01 will be vice-chairs of the BGLTSA next year. Tremitiere will be the organization's treasurer, and Elizabeth F. M. Janiak '03 will be the organization's political chair.