Tufts Christian Fellowship Re-Recognized by Student Government

A Christian student group at Tufts University was "re-recognized" by a branch of student government Wednesday after having been stripped of its official status for alleged anti-gay discrimination last month.

The Tufts Christian Fellowship (TCF) successfully appealed for re-recognition to the Tufts University Committee on Student Life.

Last month, Julie Catalano, a bisexual member of TCF, filed a complaint with the Tufts Community Union Judiciary (TCUJ), one of the three branches of Tufts' student government, after TCF's Senior Leaders' Team refused to consider her for a leadership position.

The team said they turned down Catalano on the grounds that she believes a homosexual lifestyle is consistent with Biblical teaching--a belief the group sees as contradictory to its fundamental tenets.

But the judiciary group said TCF's decision constituted discrimination.

In an emergency meeting April 13, the TCUJ revoked TCF's status as an official student group, effectively stripping the group of its rights to funding, campus classrooms and the Tufts name.

Claiming that it had not received a proper hearing, TCF appealed the decision to the Committee on Student Life, a group made up of students and faculty members that rules on issues of academic dishonesty and appeals to student government decisions.

Neither TCF nor Catalano was present at the April 13 emergency meeting of the seven-person TCUJ.

Recommended Articles

Tufts Student Group 'Derecognized,' Accused of Discrimination
As gays and lesbians at Harvard celebrated "Gaypril" with posters, dances and performances, students at Tufts University have been preoccupied
400 Protest Discrimination Policy at Tufts
More than 400 people attended a rally at Tufts University yesterday arguing that the school's non-discrimination policy does not adequately
Tufts Students Seize Campus Building
MEDFORD--25 Tufts students barricaded themselves inside a key campus administrative building yesterday, vowing to stay until the university's president strengthens
Supporting Diversity at Tufts
Last April, many members of the Tufts campus were outraged after the university ruled that its non-discrimination policy allowed the
Protesting Expression at Tufts
The Tufts takeover of Nov. 28 was singularly wrong-headed. That morning, more than 20 Tufts University students occupied the undergraduate
Letters to the Editor
TCF an Illogical Home For Tufts' Catalano To the editors: I must take issue with The Crimson's editorial, "Supporting Diversity