Stephen A. Schroeder: Should Harvard Spend Not Save

Steven A. Schroeder '60 says that before he went to Harvard he was content with "just getting by."

But since his graduation, Schroeder who now serves as the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a charitable foundation that aims to improve the state of health and healthcare for the American people, has been a leader in the medical profession.

He served as professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco where he founded the Division of General Internal Medicine and as the chair of the Advisory Committee to the Director of the Centers for Disease Control at Harvard Medical School (HMS).

Schroeder says although he is primarily involved with health issues, he would not necessarily concentrate his energies as a member of the Board on HMS.

He cites undergraduate education as an issue that is important to him and an area at Harvard where there is much room for improvement.

"I think [Harvard] needs to devote a lot more to one of their best resources," Schroeder says.

According to Schroeder, Princeton--where he currently lives--seems to place a much higher premium on undergraduates.

"At Princeton, the culture puts a high value on its undergraduates. When a professor signs up for a class, there's a very high priority on actually fulfilling all your duties," he says.

Recommended Articles

Pat Schroeder Speaks About Career, Life
Strong women in a male-dominated world must learn to face challenges with humor and good spirits, former U.S. Representative Pat
Alumni Association Elects Six Overseers
At its annual meeting on Commencement Day, the Harvard Alumni Association announced the election of six new members of the
From the Peanuts Gallery
I WAS SEVEN years old the first time I saw You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. A friend of mine
Schroeder Talks About a Friend
Rep. Patricia Schroeder (D-Col.) took time out from her Washington duties this week for a sojourn in Cambridge. The legislator,
HDC ELECTION
James E. Stimson, Jr. '59 of Kirkland House was elected President of the Harvard Dramatic Club at a recent election.
Ginsburg Speaks At Law Reunion
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg told 700 Harvard Law School alumnae on Saturday that it has been "grand"