Rudenstine to Resign Presidency in 2001

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan and Erica B. Levy, Crimson Staff Writers

University President Neil L. Rudenstine announced today that he will resign his position following the 2000-2001 academic year.

Rudenstine said he plans to step down on June 30, 2001, a decade after assuming the post.

In what is widely considered his most significant accomplishment, Rudenstine spearheaded the Harvard's Capital Campaign, which raked in $2.6 billion over six years--half a billion more than its original goal. The amount boosted Harvard's endowment to a record high of $14.4 billion.

"The time seems right," Rudenstine said in a statement. "With the campaign behind us and new opportunities on the horizon, it will be important to revive the University-wide academic planning process and to take a fresh look at future priorities. It's only fitting that a new president be in a position both to shape that process and to see it through."

Rudenstine, a Rhodes Scholar, came to Harvard from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, where he served as executive vice president. Prior to that, he was provost at his alma mater, Princeton.