Geochemistry Professor Awarded 'Genius Grant' for Climate Research

Few people can explain why Boston has 70-degree weather in December and snow in April.

But with his recent award of a "genius grant," Loeb Associate Professor of the Natural Sciences Daniel P. Schrag has proven he is an expert in the climate research field.

A recipient of this year's MacArthur Fellowship, Schrag, along with 24 other young stars in their respective fields, will be awarded a $500,000 grant, plus health benefits, over a period of five years--no strings attached.

"It was a complete surprise," Schrag said. "It was particularly nice because a colleague called me. He's on the board of the MacArthur Foundation."

"When he left a message saying it was urgent I assumed it was about taking care of his dog or his house," he added.

The Foundation does not hold a nomination or application process, and the winners are only notified after the final decision is made.

Though it was a surprise to Schrag, the award did not shock his colleagues.

"Dan Schrag is exactly the kind of person the foundation had in mind," said James G. Anderson, Weld professor of atmospheric chemistry and chair of the department of chemistry and chemical biology.

Recommended Articles

Environment Professor Wins Heinz Award
Heinz professor of environmental policy John P. Holdren was awarded $250,000 yesterday for his work in nuclear nonproliferation and global
COCA Recalls Killings; 75 Attend Widener Vigil
One year after the Salvadoran military allegedly killed six Jesuit priests and two private citizens, 75 people gathered on the
Faust, Menino Call for Climate Action
University President Drew G. Faust Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino called for action against climate change at a conference on
Experts Debate Sustainability
A panel on global warming got heated last night as four members of the Harvard Kennedy School faculty debated the
Examining Her Footprint
“The ‘control of Nature’ is a phrase conceived in arrogance...” These are the wise words of Rachel Carson, whose book “Silent Spring,” about the dangers of spraying DDT and other pesticides, changed the face of environmentalism as we know it. Her eloquent prose and compelling scientific studies convinced the public to forge a path to sustainability, albeit a winding one filled with potholes and roadblocks. By the end of her life Carson had contracted cancer, yet she bravely testified before President Kennedy’s Science Advisory Committee, defending the wildlife that couldn’t defend itself.
The Courage to Act
There has been a lack of discussion on campus surrounding our consumption habits and, if nothing else, this divestment campaign brings some much-needed attention to the fact that we, as educated Americans, consume more than anyone else in the world.