Newly Registered Student Groups, 1999-2000

Harvard Fiction Workshop

This group seeks to provide students with a forum in which to discuss and revise their own works of fiction with their peers. Its founders hope to provide a less academic atmosphere from Harvard's creative writing classes, where spaces are limited and competition for them is high.

Spoken Word Society

The Spoken Word Society's primary goal is to promote urban poetic art forms through readings, anthologies, and literary workshops, and to that end it held six readings, including one at Arts First. Next year the group hopes to put out an anthology of student writings.

Harvard Creates

Harvard Creates has attempted to provide a forum and outlet for Harvard students in a variety of expressive forms.

Take Another Look (TALK)

TALK serves as a space for students to discuss questions of race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity and other issues of identity.

Rockin' the Boat Theater Organization

Founded to produce a 1998 showing of Guys and Dolls at the Pudding, Rockin' the Boat supports large-scale student productions of Broadway shows and hopes to lobby Harvard's administration for more undergraduate theater space.

Harvard Jazz Society

This group supports the local and Harvard jazz scenes by sending out a newsletter about performances in the area, organizing jam sessions, and bringing professional musicians to campus to discuss their art.

The Winthrop Madrigalists

Singing madrigals from several historical periods and in five different languages, this group gathered about 15 students to perform informally and at Arts First. The madrigalists disbanded at the end of this year.

Harvard Blues Society

The Harvard Blues Society promotes appreciation of the blues by holding concerts, discussing recordings and bringing in lecturers from the Harvard Faculty. It also promotes Harvard students' concerts through its e-mail list.

VEGITAS

This group aims to be a discussion forum for vegans and vegetarians at Harvard, and to present the needs of that community to Harvard's campus.

Asian American Brotherhood

Dedicated to unifying the Asian-American community at Harvard, this organization held an Asian-American bone marrow drive, a Thanksgiving food drive, discussion sessions and a Martial Arts Exposition.

Harvard Right to Life

In its efforts to promote its anti-abortion cause, Right to Life participated in Harvard's abortion dialogue, and publicized University Health Services' (UHS) refund option that allows students to claim the a portion of their UHS fee allotted to elective abortions

Harvard Undergraduate Chemistry Club

Works with Harvard's chemistry department to provide an outside-the-classroom forum for student to discuss issues and findings in the field of chemistry.

Har'd CORPS

This group worked with the Undergraduate Council to organize a day of community service projects throughout the Boston area. The efforts were coordinated with similar ones at other Ivy League schools.

Students for Healthy Babies

Working with various hospitals, Students for Healthy Babies has attempted to educate Harvard and the local community about health issues, especially those pertaining to young mothers.

Dante Club

This organization has attempted to provide students a venue to discuss the ideas and writings of Dane Alighieri by organizing discussions and trips to relevant sites in the Boston region. It eventually hopes to hold an intercollegiate Dante conference.

International Monitoring and Action Group (HMAG)

A group devoted to international issues, it holds discussions on important events and visits to Harvard by prominent world leaders.

Entertainment Association

Hoping to promote greater knowledge of the entertainment industry, both for students interested in pursuing a career in the field and for those simply curious, the Entertainment Association will sponsor lectures and discussion groups.

The following student groups were also founded in 1999-2000:
Swingers
Students Against Institutionalized Slavery
Democracy Through Participation
C.A.R.D.S.(Children's Art Remembering Distinguished Seniors)