New Dean Appointed at Kennedy School

By Tova A. Serkin, Crimson Staff Writer

J. Bonnie Newman, a former senior aide to both Presidents Bush and Reagan, was named the new executive dean of the Kennedy School of Government (KSG) Monday.

"We're very excited to have Bonnie Newman," said Jesus Mena, director of communications and public affairs at KSG. "Her credentials speak for themselves."

Newman has extensive administrative experience in business and academia in addition to her political background. Newman has served as interim dean of the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire and is currently managing director of The CommerceGroup, a strategic communications consulting firm she founded.

"Bonnie Newman has a distinguished record in public service as an assistant secretary of commerce and White House administrator, as well as experience in academic administration," Dean of KSG Joseph P. Nye said in an e-mail message.

A self-described entrepreneur, Newman said her new job would allow her to be involved in her many interests.

"One of the wonderful things about this position will be the convergence of my government, higher education and business activities," she said.

As executive dean, Newman will serve as the senior administrator responsible for the day-to-day workings of the school, overseeing all administrative issues other than the faculty.

Nye makes the broader decisions at KSG, and it will be Newman's responsibility to make sure these decisions are carried out, Mena said.

Nye said Newman's past work experience makes her a perfect fit for the KSG position.

"She has a reputation as an excellent manager," Nye said.

According to Newman, her first order of business will be to get to know the faculty and gain an understanding of the issues facing the school.

"My concern will be to maintain a financially sound position and to work with people to make sure our info-tech system and facilities are well-organized so as to serve the programs and people," Newman said

Though she will not officially take office until August 7, Newman said she is thrilled with her new position.

"I'm very excited," she said. "Over the years I've been to a number of the programs there and have always admired the work of the school and the Faculty."

Those she is a resident of a small seaside town in New Hampshire, Newman said she will also rent an apartment in the Boston area for convenience.