F. Hockey Opens With Two Strong Wins

By Michael R. Volonnino, Crimson Staff Writer

With injuries and other losses the Harvard field hockey team opened its season this weekend with a roster so thin that it had never scrimmaged against itself in practice with full sides.

But the Crimson (2-0, 0-0 Ivy) proved that certain parts of the preseason are overrated as it cruised to a pair of easy wins, blanking Vermont 4-0 on Friday and knocking out the University of Rhode Island yesterday at Jordan Field.

"These wins were very important to us," co-captain Liz Starles said. "Because our team is so small, we didn't know if it would all come together, but these wins were a big boost."

Harvard 6, URI 2

With an official roster numbering just 17 players, Harvard cannot hide any inexperience, so freshman forward Kate McDavitt simply decided to use her guaranteed playing time to the fullest.

McDavitt notched a hat trick, which included the goal that put the Crimson in the lead for good as Harvard handed URI its first loss of the season.

McDavitt's three goals added to the one she had netted against UVM.

"McDavitt has very good stick skills," Starles said. "She was in the right place at the right time. It was good to see her and all the people on our team contribute."

Despite outshooting the Rams, 28-5, URI's Courtney Wood managed to tie the game 2-2 at 30:11 of the second half. McDavitt answered at 22:14 with an unassisted tally, her second of the evening.

Five minutes later, sophomore forward Philomena Gambale gave Harvard its first two-goal lead on a spectacular goal that was set up by co-captain Maisa Badaway. Badaway blazed down the left side and found Gambale down the middle between two URI defenders. Gambale then knocked the ball past goalkeeper Danielle Dangoia.

It was Gambale's second goal of the season.

"Badaway set up that goal with her speed," Starles said. "We made a quick transition and that allowed us to score."

While Harvard outplayed Rhode Island for most of the contest, a couple mental breakdowns prevented it from taking more than a one-goal lead before Gambale's strike. Though it mustered multiple shots on several occasions, there weren't Crimson players in place to challenge for rebounds to generate higher percentage scoring opportunities. Harvard also lapsed a little on defense, allowing Wood to knot the game.

"We had a couple of breakdowns on defense," Starles said. "For about a 5-to-10 minute stretch early in the second half, we stopped communicating with each other."

Harvard's focus returned after an unusual timeout. During the course of play, the referee became injured causing a stoppage in action. The Crimson took advantage of that time to regain its communication lines and soon after, the rout was on.

McDavitt finished her hat trick at 6:19 of the second half, while junior back Katie Truck finished the scoring at 2:58 with an unassisted tally.

Harvard got on the board less than two minutes into the game with senior forward Kate Nagle's second goal of the season. URI's Marcie Bourski evened the game 54 seconds later. McDavitt gave the Crimson a 2-1 lead at 14:14 of the first half.

Harvard 4, Vermont 0

Harvard didn't bother to waste any time burying its opposition in its first game of the season.

The Crimson scored three times in the first half, pelting Vermont goaltender Holly Colberg with 21 shots en route to a 4-0 shutout.

Junior Eliza Dick opened the scoring with an unassisted goal at 29:29 of the first. Nagle and Gambale then hooked up for Harvard's second goal, with Gambale converting a Nagle feed to give Harvard a 2-0 lead.

Nagle, though, would get one of her own less than five minutes later, scoring off an assist by McDavitt at 11:45.

The second half, however, belonged to Colberg. The Catamount netminder faced a 13 shot blitz, but only McDavitt could find the back of the net, scoring at 31:50.

Harvard's opening-season homestand continues Thursday against California under the lights at Jordan.