Captain Clare: Big Guy, Bigger Heart

By Michael R. Volonnino, Crimson Staff Writer

In the fall of 1996, a legend invited the captain to Harvard.

Mike Clare, a star for Rutherford High School who had only recently grown into his elephant frame, came to Cambridge and was greeted by 6'4, 285-lb. left tackle Matt Birk '98. Birk was in the midst of a breakout season, a quantum leap in development that ultimately left him over 300 lbs. and the starting center for the Minnesota Vikings. But on that day his assignment was Clare.

"Birk was just amazing to me," Clare said. "He was my host on my recruiting visit and just took me under his wing. Meeting him was one of the reasons I came to Harvard."

For his freshman season, Clare stood on the sidelines watching Birk manhandle his opposition, often blocking two defenders at once. The Crimson steamrolled all Ivy foes en route to its first-ever undefeated season in the conference. When the NFL beckoned Birk, Harvard Coach Tim Murphy found that he had left behind the perfect replacement.

Clare, the current captain of the football team, now stands at 6'4, 315 lbs., every bit the NFL prospect Birk was his senior season.

"I don't think our next transition at left tackle will be as seamless," Murphy said.

Harvard will need Clare and the rest of the offensive line at their very best because it is one of the few stable positions on the squad in this year of radical change. The team graduated nine seniors on defense, including the dominant Isaiah Kacyvenski '00 and the starting quarterback, running back, tight end and top wide receiver.

As the rest of the team learns on the job, Clare can turn to the returning center, senior John Kadzielski, who can turn to the returning right guard, junior Danny Kistler, and reminisce on the growing pains they experienced a year ago. Back then, the line struggled to replace four graduated blockers, with Clare the lone veteran.

Times have changed.

"We've really gelled as a unit and are solid up front," Kadzielski said. "We are confident that our offense will be great this year, but we know we have the most experience."

Not that the line is without its own question marks. Junior guard Justin Stark is sidelined with an injury that has thrust two sophomores into the starting lineup. Dan Weidle will suit up next to Clare at left guard with Jamil Soriano manning the other end at right tackle.

It is new offensive line Coach Jim Turner's job to make sure that this group performs up to the Crimson's own expectations. With a quarterback that will have thrown, at most, six varsity passes in his career and a running back in Chuck Nwokocha who, at 5'6, even Murphy has called a "smurf," the blocking must be superb.

The outlook is positive so far with Weidle responding the best to Turner's exhortations. He has made dramatic improvements after slimming down from over 300 pounds of flab to a "svelte" 290.

"Turner has command status," Clare said. "He knows his stuff, is loud and just won't take 'no' for an answer. He uses his military background to order us around and we've latched onto him."

Whenever doubts arise about the Crimson linemen, one glance in Clare's direction instantly quells all concern. The team recognizes him as its best player and hardest worker. Over the summer he was a fixture at the Murr Center, honing his strength and technique.

"Without a doubt Clare is our best player," sophomore quarterback Barry Wahlberg said. "He never misses a rep. The last spring game he played with a broken nose and probably broke it four times last year. He's out there competing with his blood, sweat and tears."

It all comes with the territory of being captain.

"I lead by example," Clare said. "I'm a loud guy and don't shy away from getting in people's faces to let them know what I expect from them. I've kind of taken the best from the captains I've played under. [Chris Eitzmann '00] was quieter and led by example. [Brendan Bibro '98-99] was just loud and out of control."

But to assume the captaincy from the position of left tackle requires more than a hulking body and a pair of vocal chords to match. His teammates can draw inspiration from the progress Clare has made as a player. Clare knows firsthand the fruits of a player's labor.

As the lone underclassman on the line his sophomore year, he had an instant measuring stick for his performance, and by the time junior year rolled around, he was ready to claim All-Ivy status.

"Last year was an eye-opener for me," Clare said. "I realized I could be a dominant player when guys who might've gotten the best of me sophomore year, I handled easily."

His shining moment came in the Crimson's 13-6 win over Princeton. Clare was matched directly with Tiger defensive lineman David Ferrara. Ferrara, who would be named First Team All-Ivy, was held without a sack and Chris Menick '00 was able to rush for 165 yards.

But unless Clare is matched up with a premier lineman like Ferrara, his efforts often go unnoticed. Murphy frequently remarks that the team "takes him for granted," but that is the nature of his position. And despite his verbal flourishes on the gridiron itself, Clare would just as soon keep it that way.

Clare does not respond to questions concerning his NFL prospects and he does not allow football to consume his daily life. He lives in Adams House not with his teammates, but with his entryway mates from Lionel. And given his druthers, he would rather brag about his ability to dunk a basketball than his wars in the trenches.

That's right, Clare can dunk and plays A-League intramural basketball to boot.

"If all I did was football 24-7, I think I would go crazy," Clare said. "Basketball has always been in my blood. I love going to Mather Courts on the weekend and seeing how astonished all the guys are that someone my size can dunk and grab rim with both hands."

When those hands are not palming a basketball, they often are working with a young child. Clare volunteers at the Mission Hill After School Program, where the 5- to 7-year-olds look way up to him as their gentle giant.

During the last week of school he hosted a sleepover with about 20 kids from the program and he gave them free reign over his dorm, with all of the PlayStation games, movies and CDs contained therein.

"Going down and being able to hang out with the little kids that just look up to you makes you really appreciate being at Harvard," Clare said. "My little guy is Quentin and every time I got there he was like, 'Can you walk me home?' And I asked why, and he answered, 'Because my mom loves it because you're big.'"

Harvard can only hope that Clare dwarfs his competition like he does little Quentin. Just as Clare comforts Quentin's mom by placing her son in his shadow, his presence reassures the Crimson that the offense--and the team--is under his protection.

"We like to get at it and go hit people," Clare said. "As long as we get a hat on a hat and play till the whistle, we'll be fine."

Back in 1996, a legend invited the captain to Harvard. New legends, of course, can always be made.