Crimson Hues at Sydney

Harvard senior will begin Olympic trials tomorrow in high jump event

By The CRIMSON Staff

Dora Gyorffy '01 has her sights set high. The Harvard senior's combination of incredible talent and dedication has made her a medal favorite in the high jump at this year's Olympic Games. Representing her native Hungary, Gyorffy's first appearance will be in the preliminary rounds tomorrow. She is expected to be amongst the top twelve competitors who will two days later vie for a spot on the podium.

Gyorffy's record of achievement has included tying the NCAA indoor high jump record of 1.97 meters. She has served as a respected member of the Harvard track and field throughout her undergraduate career, earning honors for the team in the triple jump, as well in the high jump. On leave this term to focus on her Olympic dreams, Gyorffy will return in the spring semester to complete her thesis as a government concentrator.

Gyorffy exemplifies the well-rounded students of which Harvard is so proud. Indeed, Gyorffy joins a long tradition of Crimson Olympians. Harvard students or alumni have competed in every one of the modern summer Games. In fact, James B. Connolly, Class of 1898, brought home the first medal of the modern games in what is now the triple jump, but what was then called by the impressive title of the hop, skip and jump.

We wish Gyorffy the best of luck in her Olympic trials. May she be swifter, higher and stronger in her quest for the pinnacle of Olympic glory.