Harvard Okays Name of Publishing Course

By Hannah E. Kenser, Contributing Writer

Harvard gave permission for Radcliffe's publishing course to retain use of the Radcliffe name for two years after moving to Columbia University in New York, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study officials said yesterday.

Acting Dean of the Institute Mary Maples Dunn received "explicit approval" from Provost Harvey V. Fineberg '67 for the use of the name, said Radcliffe spokesperson Tara Arden Smith '96.

Enrique J. Calixto, the University's U.S. trademarks administrator, said that Harvard's attorneys will be involved with any contracts Radcliffe may sign with Columbia. Dunn said earlier this week that she is still working out the details with Columbia.

For the next two years, the Radcliffe Publishing Course--a well-regarded class that teaches young college graduates the about the publishing world--will retain its name but will give some compensation for that right to the University.

In the past, the publishing course has hosted such prominent speakers like John Irving Kurt Vonnegut and John F. Kennedy Jr.

The program has had over a 90 percent job-placement rate and its alumni have worked in a wide variety of publishing positions.

But one graduate wondered yesterday whether by moving to Columbia, the program would lose some of its appeal.

"[The Radcliffe name] always lent the program a certain degree of glamour," said David M. Granger, editor-in-chief of Esquire Magazine and a 1982 program alumnus. "Columbia is a fantastic school, but Harvard still has the glow."