Seniors May See Recruiting Downturn

This year's seniors may face a tougher time than the Class of 2000 in the job market, as companies begin to scale back hiring in the face of dismal dot-com performance and a possible economic slowdown, economists and officials at the Office of Career Services (OCS) said yesterday.

Consulting and investment banking firms seem to be reducing recruiting efforts from last year's peak.

Some companies trimmed their on-campus interview schedule in the fall, cutting the number of fall interviews offered by as much as a third.

"Recruiting is still above average but not as much as last year. It was a banner year last year," said OCS Director of Recruiting Judy Murray. "With dot-coms fading, it's almost a cannonball. Venture capital slows down, which hurts the ad industry. This is going to contribute to the amount of jobs out there."

The Blackstone Group, an on-campus recruiter that typically hires a few Harvard students each year, sent out an e-mail to applicants cancelling their spring recruiting interviews.

"The Blackstone Group has canceled their interview schedules in early February due to a change in their hiring

needs," the e-mail read. The e-mail did not offer greater detail on the reasons for the cancellations.

Murray said some cutbacks may be a result of companies' shifting interviewing resources to the spring cycle. Merrill Lynch, for example, has scheduled spring interview sessions for the first time this year, she said.

Recommended Articles

Markets' Dips Raise Concerns for Business-Bound Seniors
It's been a ride wild enough to make job-hungry seniors and stockbrokers alike queasy. From a spectacular high of 9337.97
OCS Policy Change Hinders Recruiters
A policy change for on-campus recruiting that requires all companies to conduct first-run interviews on campus has excluded some companies
McKinsey Recruiting Will Return to OCS
After a year of exile, McKinsey & Company, a top global consulting firm, will be allowed to participate in the
Harvard Overwhelmed by Company Recruiting
The number of companies recruiting at Harvard increased 11 percent this year, defying a trend of declining recruitment reported this
Seniors Vie for Jobs In Recruiting Fairs
Even in a tight job market, the Harvard name apparently still sells. After a dramatic 50 percent increase last year,
Recruiting Remains Low, Despite Slight Rise
Continuing the scaled back recruiting efforts of the past two years, fewer investment banks and consulting firms will interview on-campus