Ex-Divinity School Dean Returns as Professor

By Kate L. Rakoczy, Crimson Staff Writer

This fall, Professor of Theology Ronald F. Thiemann returned to Harvard Divinity School (HDS) after three semesters of sabbatical and a loss of title. In 1998, Thiemann was forced to resign as dean of HDS after pornography was found on his University-owned computer located in the office of his home, also owned by Harvard.

The images were found by computer technicians servicing Thiemann's computer. Sources told The Crimson that the material did not include child pornography or other illegal matter. Nonetheless, the storage of any pornographic images is a violation of HDS's official policy regarding computer usage, which prohibits storing material that is "inappropriate, obscene, bigoted or abusive" on University computers.

But Thiemann was allowed to retain his tenured professorship, and now, after a year-and-a-half sabbatical, he has returned to Harvard--this time in a purely academic capacity.

Thiemann offered three courses last semester: a seminar on "The Public Intellectual," "Religion and Society Colloquium" and "Colloquium in Technology." Despite the controversy surrounding his departure, students at HDS seem to be taking his return in stride. According to the Registrar's Office, Thiemann's classes have each attracted about seven to nine students, an average enrollment figure for seminars and colloquiums.

Professor Nicholas P. Constas, who teaches in his department, attributed Thiemann's quick assimilation back into University life to his academic talents.

"He's a great teacher, and students know that," he said.

First-year student Jennifer E. Veninga said that she could see why students would be eager to take Thiemann's classes, regardless of his past actions.

"He's a valuable resource and adds unique insight," she said.

Thiemann could not be reached for comment.

Some students said they feel that it is time to move on. "In a community as small and close as that of the Divinity School, a community that's based on things like forgiveness and understanding and trying to deal with somebody for who they are, we should try to welcome him back," said fourth-year student Simon P. Augustine.

And Veninga pointed out that due to Thiemann's extended absence from HDS, there are now many new students like herself who aren't even aware of the circumstances under which Thiemann left.

"If I were him, I would just lay low and do my job," she said.

Augustine said that he felt Thiemann's past may actually make him more qualified for his job. "Teaching ethics is not about being a perfect person," he said. "It's about grappling with the issues. And someone who's faced these ongoing ethical struggles might be in a better position to understand and explain them."

Constas said that he felt he could speak for his entire department when he said that Thiemann is "an outstanding and excellent colleague, and we're just happy to have him back."

Thiemann is a specialist on the role of religion in public life, a subject on which he has written several books, including Constructing a Public Theology: The Church in a Pluralistic Culture and Religion in Public Life: A Dilemma for Democracy.

For six years, he was also the Director of the Divinity School's Center for the Study of Values in Public Life. In addition, Thiemann is well-versed in modern Protestant thought, and has written a book entitled Revelation and Theology: The Gospel as Narrated Promise.