Streaking M. Soccer Rolls Into Ithaca

By Brenda Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s soccer team looks to extend its three-game winning streak against ivy foe Cornell when it travels to Ithaca, N.Y. tomorrow.

Harvard (6-2-0, 2-0-0 Ivy) defeated Princeton 1-0 on Tuesday on the strength of sophomore Ladd Fritz’s goal. It was the first win against the Tigers for the Crimson in four years.

“We’re playing well as a team, “ said Harvard Coach John Kerr. “We’re helping each other out, doing little things on the field that make a difference and getting results.”

The Big Red of Cornell (3-2-1, 0-1-1) bested No. 19 Penn State 3-1 on Wednesday night, remaining undefeated at home. The winning goal was driven home by senior Ted Papadopoulos, while freshman Steve Reuter scored his first collegiate goal. Junior captain Liam Hoben rounded out the scoring for Cornell with a 40-yard free kick that bounced into the goal. The upset against Penn State ended a scoring drought for Cornell that lasted three games.

Prior to the Penn State game, Cornell fell 1-0 in double overtime to Penn in their second Ivy contest of the year. The Big Red offense had been stagnant, scoreless for three straight games, including two double overtime contests.

Sophomore forward Doug Charton and Papdopoulous share the Cornell lead for points, each with two goals and one assist for five points on the year.

The Big Red goalkeeper, junior Doug Allan, has been a consistent stopping force for Cornell this year. He made eight saves in the Penn loss and five in the Penn State win. In his six starts, he has allowed one goal or fewer five times.

The Crimson is readying itself for a match up against a team whose offense seems to have awakened.

“We’re setting out a 4-4-2 this week,” Kerr said. “It’s a more defensive formation, but we will also be more explosive on counterattacks.”

Cornell is a nationally recognized team, previously ranked No. 21 before falling out of the polls after its 3-0 loss to St. Bonaventure and a scoreless tie with Yale.

“It’s going to be a tough game,” said captain Nicholas Lenicheck. “Cornell is a good, physical team, and its a long trip.”

Cornell is hosting Harvard on its homecoming weekend, and all three of its wins have come at home. But the Crimson says it is up for the challenge of defeating the Big Red on its home turf.

“The crowd will be against us,” Lenicheck said. “But we always get excited to play under difficult conditions.”

Fritz leads Harvard scoring with five goals and one assist already this season. Fellow sophomore Kevin Ara matches Fritz’s 11 points on the year with his four goals and three assists for the Crimson.

The Crimson defense has been dominant recently, not allowing a goal since the 3-2 loss to BC on Sept. 26. Harvard has outscored its opponents 11-0 during that stretch, collecting three victories in a row.

Much of the credit for Harvard’s stinginess should go to the goalie-by-committee that has emerged in the absence of senior keeper Dan Mejias. Led by freshman Jamie Roth—who shut out Princeton last week—the goaltending collective has buoyed Harvard’s run.

The Crimson’s consistent play has not gone unnoticed. Harvard enters Saturday’s action now ranked seventh in the region and at the top of the Ivy standings.