W. Tennis Wins ECAC Title

By Lande A. Spottswood, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s tennis team cruised by Penn, 7-0, to claim the ECAC Division I Women’s Tennis Championships title at Princeton yesterday.

The No. 1 seed Crimson coasted in 7-0 victories over George Washington and the No. 6 seed Cornell on Friday and advanced to the finals with a 6-1 victory over No. 4 seed Yale on Saturday. The Quakers upset No. 2 seed Virginia, 6-1, to earn their spot in the match-up.

“It was really great to come back with the title my senior year,” said co-captain Fleur Broughton. “All the girls played with so much heart.”

Freshman Courtney Bergman led Harvard to the victory. Bergman teamed up with fellow freshman Susanna Lingman for an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles over Penn’s Alice Pirsu and Rachel Shweky 6-4, 5-6 (9), 1-0 (6) before going on to beat Pirsu at No. 1 singles later in the afternoon.

“The final match was unbelievable,” said Coach Gordon Graham, whose team dominated the sixteen-team field, losing only one point in four matches. “We came back to win number one and number two doubles and that set the tone. We fought well in every match and showed that this team has a lot of competitive fight.”

Harvard 7, Penn 0

The Crimson won each of the seven singles and two of three doubles matches to clinch the victory over the defending Ivy League Champion Quakers.

Harvard’s stellar freshmen class highlighted an all-around dominant performance.

Along with Bergman, who picked up the win at No. 1 singles, Harvard featured. three other freshmen in the six singles matches.

Alexis Martire defeated Penn’s Nicole Ptak in straight sets (6-4, 6-4) at No. 3 singles, and Lingman bounced back from an early deficit to beat Shelah Chao 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 at the fourth position. Ashley Hyotte defeated Schweky 6-5 (1), 6-4 at No. 6.

“I was proud, but not so much surprised [with the play of the freshmen],” Broughton said. “Against Penn every match was a fight and a challenge, but the freshmen all stepped up.”

The veterans contributed as well.

Junior Sanja Bajin picked up the victory at No. 2 over Raluca Ciulei 6-1, 5-6 (6), 6-4, and Broughton beat Michelle Yesh in straight sets 6-3, 6-4.

At No. 2 doubles, Bajin and Martire teamed up to defeat Ciulei and Chao 8-4. The Crimson suffered its only defeat at No. 3 doubles, with Broughton and fellow senior Sarah McGinty losing, 8-4, to Penn’s Ptak and Kate Williams.

Harvard 6, Yale 1

Despite dropping its only point in the entire ECAC Championships, the Crimson rolled to victory.

Harvard claimed victories in five of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests to clinch the win.

Bergman cruised to a 6-2, 6-4 victory over senior Andrea Goldberg at No. 1, but at No. 2 Bajin had to battle back after getting down early to defeat junior Elizabeth Kaufman 1-6, 6-1, 6-1.

Lingman and Broughton both coasted to straight set victories over junior Susie Hiniker and senior Elizabeth Oosterhuis at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, and Hyotte overcame a slow start to beat freshman Stephanie White 5-6 (9), 6-1, 1-1 (2) at No. 6.

“As a freshman it’s kind of weird because we haven’t lost yet,” Hyotte said. “There is so much comraderie, and everyone is playing so well.”

Martire lost 6-0, 6-3 to sophmore Margaret Purcell at No. 3 to give the Bulldogs their only point.

In doubles, Bergman and Lingman claimed an 8-5 victory at No. 1 over Goldberg and Kaufman, and Bajin and Martire picked up the 8-4 victory over Hinker and Oosterhuis at No. 2.

Broughton and McGinty fell to Pucell and White 8-7 at No. 3.