Group Evaluates Impact of Hip-Hop on Women

By Lauren M. Jiggetts, Crimson Staff Writer

The Association of Black Harvard Women met last night to address the often negative portrayal of women in hip-hop culture.

The meeting followed a lecture on hip-hop last Wednesday by Fletcher University Professor Ccrnel R. West ’74 that the leaders of last night’s discussion said paid no attention to women in hop hop.

“We realize that hip-hop is disrespectful to women, and we need to do something about it,” said Margaret C. Anadu ’03, a member of the group.

West’s lecture on Wednesday focused mostly on the Sept. 11 attacks, commenting that hip-hop music is also a music “rooted in struggle.”

The lecture made no reference to the relationship between rap music and women.

“We were disturbed by the fact that there was no mention of women in the forum,” Association President Kimberly N. Marshall ’03 said.

Participants at the meeting last nightcame down strongly against the misogyny that they perceived in today’s popular music.

Members of the organization also condemned popular female artists like Lil’ Kim who they said perpetuate the image of females as sexual objects.

“The women in the hip hop industry aren’t really doing anything to reverse that trend,” Marshall said.

The final thrust of the meeting was centered around ways to shift the portrayal of women in popular music. Possible solutions brought up included boycotts and protest.

“Why does danceable music have to be degrading to women?” Marshall asked.