Living With Anthrax

Prudent caution, not hysteria, best way to defend against biological attacks on America

By The CRIMSON Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, many speculated that bioterrorism was a distinct possibility. Indeed, in early October Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld warned the nation that terrorists might use biological agents to spread fear and disrupt daily life. It has now been confirmed in several cases that anthrax has invaded—and in one tragic case, destroyed—the lives of innocent American civilians. Although it is not known for certain whether those behind the anthrax attacks are the same individuals responsible for the Sept. 11 tragedy, the recent attacks have targeted the media and the government—the bastions of our freedom of speech and thought and the institutions that make our liberties a tangible reality. Though these targets have generally been far away from Harvard Yard, it is easy for the threat to come close to home: a number of Harvard institutions have undergone testing for the bacterium, and just yesterday, an anthrax scare took place at the Harvard Hillel.

Living under the threat of such attacks will require both patience and prudence. The Harvard University Mail Services (HUMS) is wise to follow the recommendations of the U.S. Postal Service in weeding out suspicious packages and in making accommodations for its employees, such as offering gloves and other means of protection against biological contamination. However, it is also wise not to redirect University mail elsewhere. Doing so would only encourage the hysteria that has already sprouted around mail services. Although caution certainly seems prudent during this current national crisis, Harvard has done well to resist the temptation to take this caution to extremes.

Nationwide precautions have similarly been encouraging. The significant increase in the production of the drug Cipro, which has been found to impede the effect of even the more dangerous forms of anthrax, should help to relieve Americans across the nation. Further increases, as well as stockpiling of other antibiotics and vaccines, may be required. At the same time, of course, the nation cannot take preparations for biological warfare to extremes. America depends on its mail system for everything from daily business transactions to casual correspondence between friends; abandoning the mails, hoarding supplies of antibiotics or reverting to hysteria in any form would only add to the attacks’ impact. Many of the envelopes tested for anthrax have been shown to be hoaxes, which do the perpetrators a favor by multiplying the fear their attacks create.

Unlike the military conflicts of recent times, the current campaign in Afghanistan is especially difficult because we are fighting an unknown enemy whose location is unclear. But we still carry on and commit ourselves to the cause.

The same should apply to the threat of anthrax: although we may not know its source, we must commit ourselves to seeking out those responsible for this biological terrorism and holding them accountable for their attack on our nation. Until then, however, we must continue to carry on—rebuilding our greatest cities, and our confidence.