HSA Selects President for Upcoming Year

By Jenifer L. Steinhardt, Contributing Writer

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) announced yesterday that Bradley J. Olson ’03 will serve as its next president.

Olson, current manager of Unofficial Publications, which publishes the Unofficial Guide to Life at Harvard, will begin his one-year term as the head of the student-run corporation on Feb. 1.

“I’m excited that HSA is going to be in very good hands next year,” said current HSA President Cindy L. Rodriguez ’02.

Olson has already begun planning his upcoming term.

“I’m hoping to look at each individual agency and work with each manager to improve upon the services we offer and see how we can expand,” he said. “I want there to be an increased awareness of HSA and Let’s Go on campus.”

As manager of Unofficial Publications, Olson led the creation of The Guide to Getting In, a guide to college admissions to be released nationwide in August 2002.

After being elected by the 24 members of HSA’s board of directors, Olson selected Rosa P. Wu ’03, current co-director of HSA’s Center for Enterprise, to serve as vice president next year.

Wu said she wants to increase student involvement with HSA.

“We have a lot of products and services that students use, but we want to become the place students go if they want Harvard memorabilia or if they want to have their laundry cleaned,” she said.

HSA, founded in 1957, consists of 10 divisions, including the Harvard Shop, HSA Cleaners, the Harvard Bartending Course and Let’s Go Publishing.

With 800 Harvard students as employees and more than $6 million in annual revenues, HSA says it is the world’s largest student-run corporation.

According to its website, HSA aims “to help defray rising tuition costs, while providing practical business experience and supplying valuable, necessary services to the Harvard community.”