M. Soccer Hands Princeton 1-0 Loss

By David Weinfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

In a back and forth struggle that saw the weather change as often as the momentum did, the Harvard men’s soccer team slipped past the Princeton Tigers 1-0 at Ohiri Field on Saturday afternoon.

During a heavy rain, Harvard sophomore striker Ladd Fritz scored the game’s lone goal in the 23rd minute.

“We had the four seasons out there,” said Harvard Coach John Kerr. “It started off a warm summer’s day, then we went right into winter, then fall and spring seasons.”

Preseason polls had picked the Tigers (3-2-2, 1-1 Ivy) to win the Ivy championship. With the victory, the Crimson (6-2, 2-0 Ivy) find themselves in the driver’s seat towards the title.

It was cold and rainy throughout much of the game Saturday, and players slipped all over the field, leading to an excess of fouls. Princeton was called for 16 fouls, while the Crimson committed 10.

The weather also made it exceptionally difficult for the two goalkeepers, who nonetheless came up with some terrific saves.

Harvard freshman keeper Jamie Roth, starting in his first Ivy game, was steady throughout and came up with a huge stop with 7 minutes to go in the first half. Pressing hard, the Tigers found an open man in the box who blasted a low shot that seemed destined for the back of the net. With lightning quick reflexes, Roth dove right and smothered the ball.

Tigers keeper Jason White displayed some magic of his own, stopping three consecutive Crimson shots from up close in the game’s 30th minute and smothering a breakaway bid by sophomore Kevin Ara with 15 minutes to play in the second half.

“We couldn’t punt, couldn’t kick, we had to keep the ball on the ground [because of the weather],” Roth said. “I had trouble distributing the ball.”

“It’s been a learning process for me,” Roth added. “In my first game, against B.C., I made some mistakes, but I’m into the learning curve now, and things are going well.”

Coach Kerr praised Roth, who finished with four saves.

“He looked very comfortable in his first Ivy game. He’s doing great,” Kerr said. “Jaime’s in form. We’re gonna keep him in.”

In the early going, White matched shot for shot. But then the rain hit.

Midway through the first half, a torrential downpour coupled with biting cold wind forced many of the spectators to seek shelter behind a nearby van or port-o-potty. Those who stayed witnessed Fritz’s goal, scored at the height of the downpour.

The scoring play started when Harvard junior defender Joe Steffa made a huge tackle to steal the ball. Senior midfielder Mike Peller then gathered the ball and flicked it over a Princeton defender to Fritz, who was all alone on the right side.

Fritz, who enetered Saturday;s match as Harvard’s leading scorer with four goals, added his fifth of the season by sending the ball into the top right corner.

“Ladd Fritz is a fabulous player,” Coach Kerr said. “He moved from midfield to striker earlier this year and now it seems like he’s been playing striker his whole life.”

Fritz, who led Harvard’s rookies in scoring last season, was especially pleased with the victory.

“It’s a stepping stone to winning the Ivy League,” Fritz said. “As long as we keep our heads on straight, we’ll be sitting on top of the Ivy.”

“We beat a good Yale team and a good Princeton team. We’re in a good position right now,” Kerr said.