Quincy Grille Boasts Later Hours and New Amenities

By Stephen W. Stromberg, Contributing Writer

Quincy House caffeine addicts and burger fiends celebrated the grand opening of a House Grille revamped with new furniture, black and neon lighting, new menu items and a full espresso and smoothie bar.

The renovations, begun in September, aimed to expand the old Grille from a part-time burger joint to a café open seven days a week.

The Grille now runs from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

The Grille’s regulars are very satisfied with the changes. “The new hours are excellent,”said Huma Yusuf ’02.

Grille staff have also planned theme nights. On Wednesdays, the Grille will play movies using the new surround sound system. On Tuesday nights, it will become a coffee house complete with live music.

New menu items include themed burgers, like “The Master’s Suite” ($4.00) and the “The Exorcism” ($3.75), a burger with mixed garlic, onions and tomatoes sautéed in olive oil. The Grille will also accept Crimson Cash for the first time.

“We also added ambiance,” said the Grille’s manager, Justin A. Erlich ’03. “We worked with the [Quincy House] superintendent to turn off the fluorescent lighting at night.” A neon “Quincy Grille” sign illuminates the area instead.

“The neon lights really set the mood. It’s a whole new place,” said Sonia H. Kastner ’03.

Erlich said the renovations reflect “my frustration about a lack of a student center for people to gather to hang out.”

More student centers are needed, Erlich said, since many popular student hangouts in Harvard Square have closed in recent years.

“When my dad was here, they had 24 hour diners in the square [Elsie’s] and now sadly they are replaced by Pacific Sunwear and Abercrombie,”Erlich said. “So this way at least there is something going on, until 2 [a.m.] on weekdays and 4 [a.m.] on weekends.”

The House Committee funded the renovations, but is also hoping to secure funds from the House adminstration to help defray the cost, said Nancy J. Chang ’02, the House Committee secretary.