The Cult of the Tailgater

The cult of the tailgater usually rears its pretentious head but once a year at Harvards anticipated showdown with the
By M.h. Chen and Photos C.S.N. Lewis

The cult of the tailgater usually rears its pretentious head but once a year at Harvards anticipated showdown with the Yale football squad. But this year, lovers of Moet and Michelob previewed the tailgating scene at the championship showdown versus Penn. Though even undergraduate pre-game revelry usually takes on a snootier final club-tinge, there is definitely a generation gap in the tailgating experience. Graduates have their pick of top-shelf alcohol, gourmet spreads, and luxury SUVs while undergrads have to be a little bit more creative. Below is a taste of the Harvard tailgate.

The Good Ole Boys

Bob Shaunessy 59 and his wife Elaine, of Windam, NH, are no strangers to Harvard football. A starting tackle for three years, Bob captained the team his senior year. That same year, he was named to the All-Ivy First Team in the Associated Press annual football poll. Standing behind their old stomping ground, Bob and former teammate Peter Briggs 59 (also a starting tackle for three years), joked good-naturedly about the quick passage of time. After Bob claimed to have constructed the Harvard flag that waved proudly behind their table, Briggs quipped, the name of his company is half-mast. In response, Bob just smiled and shook his head. The friends enjoyed an impressive array of food and drink, including assorted cheeses, crackers and breads, home-baked lemon squares, macadamia goodies, a selection of nuts, and Mrs. Shaunessys special chocolate orgasm brownies. Try one, Bob Shaunessy urged, Itll light up your life. Sipping single-malt scotch, Jack Mohan remarked, Its usually better than this. For the Yale game, the girls come in their fur coats. This one we were a little laid-back. No shrimp cocktails this week. We were going to bring the convertible but it was too cold. Bob, however, had no complaints about the gathering. Want to know the secret of a good tailgate?, he asked. Without waiting for an answer, the former football star reached inside his jacket and pull out a flask. Sterling silver, he replied with a grin.

Wrestling with Body Image

We want to bring spirit to a school that doesnt have a lot of it. We do this when it rains, when it sleets, when it snows. Were not fair-weather fans, says Co-Captain of Harvards Varsity Wrestling Team Kevin Elhayek 02. Arriving fashionably early, the wrestlers came out in full force to spread athletic cheer. Despite the winds chill, their shirts stayed off and their phallic-looking noisemakers remained erect. As his teammates scrambled to arrange themselves in the correct order without spilling their beer, Joe Linhart 03, better known for his drumming skills, showed off his bedroom eyes as he struck his most seductive pose. The wrestlers plan to rev up the football team was somewhat foiled when they were forced by grumpy ticket-holders to move to student seating. Chanting, Dont worry, were still here!, the wrestlers reluctantly relinquished their prime spots.

Penn Pretense

Edward Barrett, University of Pennsylvania 77, and his wife, Manuela, made the trip from Marshfields, MA to Cambridge to support Barretts alma mater but, more importantly, to socialize. Chatting with each other over caesar chicken wraps, fresh pastries, smoked mackerel, and assorted wines, the friends were consumed more by mingling and less by Penns prospects. Its going to be a good game. Edward Barrett said, gesturing wildly at his friends. Dan Belforti cut in with a laugh, So far its a really good tailgate! Raising his wineglass in a mock toast, Patrick Lyons concurred, Id be happy to stay here all day.

Un-Sophomoric

Popcorn, salsa, carrots, cheese, and Absolut vodka were all that remained of Rye-native Betsy Sykes 04 and Burberry-clad friends tailgate by half time. As she swept morsels from the vinyl tablecloth, Sykes remarked, We actually got a bunch of nice food. We had two kinds of cheesebrie and cheddar, and we were making Bloody Marys. Peter Giordano 04 and Alex Moss 04 were more than satisfied. Dancing alongside a neglected barbeque and an overflowing trashcan, Giordano exclaimed, The fun tailgates are all about dancing and partying and having a good time. Moss grined and agreed, Its all about beer and balls and this games got both.

For The Moment