Letters

Intentions Matter

Letter

By Jonathan D. Wachter ’

To the editors:

In his column, “Paved With Good Intentions” (Opinion, Nov. 14) Nader R. Hasan ’02 helpfully reminds us that, in the course of the war on terrorism, we, the United States, do not intend to “bomb civilians,” “make war on Muslims” or “starve millions of people” but that nevertheless “we do it.” He concludes that the “only” thing distinguishing the United States—the “good guys” as he puts it—from its adversaries—the “bad guys”—are good intentions.

I could not agree with him more. Al Qaeda does intend to bomb civilians. Al Qaeda does intend to make war on Christians and Jews. The Taliban does intend to continue to protect those who carry out these acts, and the Taliban does intend to continue to disrupt the United Nations’ humanitarian relief efforts by commandeering their equipment and offices, allowing millions to starve.

The intentions of the United States are just. The intentions of al Qaeda and the Taliban are evil. The only thing distinguishing the good guys from the bad guys are good intentions? Thank you, Mr. Hasan. I could hardly have said it better myself.

Jonathan D. Wachter ’01

New York, N.Y.

Nov. 15, 2001

Letters