At Service, Mourners Recall Pusey's Legacy

By Catherine E. Shoichet, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK—Family and friends gathered Saturday for a memorial service for Nathan Marsh Pusey ’28 at the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City.

Pusey, who served as Harvard’s 24th president from 1953 to 1971, passed away last month at the age of 94.

“He was someone who cared deeply about family, and someone who cared deeply about moral principles. And he stood up for them even through the most difficult circumstances” remembered David Rockefeller ’37, a close family friend who spoke at the beginning of the ceremony.

Rockefeller also noted Pusey’s commitment to Harvard College, his extensive efforts in the field of education and his “staunch” defense of academic freedom in response to attacks from Senator Joseph McCarthy at the beginning of his tenure.

Plummer Professor of Christian Morals Peter J. Gomes eulogized Pusey’s contributions to Harvard and his personal strength.

Gomes described Pusey as “the transformer of modern Harvard.”

Though he faced “onslaughts” from right-wing politicians such as McCarthy in his early years at Harvard and left-wing protesters during the 1969 occupation of University Hall, Pusey was never daunted, Gomes said.

“Adversity appeared to bring out strength and serenity,” Gomes said.

Gomes pointed to the Pusey Library and to his own position as Pusey minister in the Memorial Church as strong examples of Pusey’s legacy at Harvard.

“I bear his name,” Gomes said. “And I cherish it as if it were mine by birth.”

Rev. Brenda G. Husson, the rector at St. James’ Church, which Pusey attended regularly, delivered a homily praising Pusey’s “remarkable presence” and his “extraordinary relationship” with his wife, Anne. She also noted his dedication to Harvard and his commitment to the things he loved.

“Nate Pusey put the greatest values on things that last,” she said.

Above all, she said, Pusey depended on the constancy of God.

“In a world full of change, Nate Pusey knew that God was always present,” Husson said.

In addition to traditional religious hymns and psalm readings, the service included biblical readings by two of Pusey’s children, Rosemary Hopkins and James Pusey.

After the ceremony, the Pusey family hosted a reception at the Harvard Club of New York.

Guests reminisced about Pusey’s life in the lavish Harvard Hall, where a portrait of Pusey was prominently displayed, accompanied by three votive candles.

Though University President Lawrence H. Summers was unable to attend the service, he sent a message of sympathy and appreciation to the Pusey family through Gomes.

Harvard will host a memorial service for Pusey on April 12, 2001 at 3:00 p.m. in the Memorial Church.

—Staff writer Catherine E. Shoichet can be reached at shoichet@fas.harvard.edu.