W. Hoops To Battle Rams

Sophomore guard JENNIFER LEE averaged 4.0 points and 1.0 assists last season.
By Jessica T. Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

On Dec. 12 of last year, the Harvard women’s basketball team lost its fourth straight time when Rhode Island won 70-58. Tonight, the Crimson hosts the Rams after posting a solid 4-3 record against strong teams, a very different beginning from last year’s 1-10 start.

“It should be a great game,” said Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith. “We always have a very competitive game with Rhode Island.”

Last year, Harvard fell to the Rams in a game that started and finished on the wrong foot for the Crimson. URI took advantage of Harvard’s 18 turnovers in the first period to establish a 12-point lead at the half and sophomore guard Lindsey O’Neil made seven free throws in the last 2:39 to seal the win.

“I think that we’ve been better about ball control,” said co-captain Katie Gates. “We have a lot more poise this year. Last year, our confidence was low, no one knew what their role was—it was a very tumultuous time.”

This year, the Rams continue to pose a threat as they carry the momentum of a 6-1 record, URI’s best start since the 1993-1994 season. The Rams capped off a four-game winning streak with a 62-42 win against Deleware State on Dec. 9, a game in which O’Neil led all scorers with 17 points and captain Yatar Kuyateh registered 11 points, four rebounds, two assists and two steals.

“It’s just a different brand of basketball than what we’re used to,” Gates said. “We have to be ready for a pretty physical game.”

O’Neil is one of 10 underclassmen who have made an impact for the Rams. She is already fifth in the URI record books in career three-pointers with 74 in just 33 games. Her seven three-pointers against Fairleigh Dickinson last year broke the school’s single-game record.

Kuyateh is another dangerous player, as she leads the Rams by averaging 11.6 points and six rebounds per game. In her last game against Harvard, she scored 13 points.

“We’re trying to focus on defense,” Delaney-Smith said. “The one loss that we shouldn’t have had was against B.U. and that was the result of very poor defense on our part. We want to bring consistent intensity on defense for 40 minutes.”

Harvard must also contend with a URI defense that is allowing only 52.9 points per game, best among Atlantic 10 teams. The Rams earned its place by holding opponents to 35.8 percent shooting from the field and by forcing an average of 22.5 turnovers per game.

However, Harvard has experience on its side as the Crimson has faced tougher competition in the form of Kansas State and Villanova.

“Our schedule is strong this year,” Gates said. “More or less, we’ve been beating the teams we should be and giving the teams we’re not expected to beat a pretty good run. It has made us mentally tough.”

The Crimson’s last game action was against Central Connecticut on Dec. 5. Harvard defeated the Blue Devils 66-53 as sophomore forward Hana Peljto led the way with 22 points and earned a spot on the Ivy League honor roll.

Freshman forward Reka Cserny earned Rookie of the Week accolades for the second week in a row after posting her third-straight double-double against the Blue Devils, scoring 20 points and tallying 13 rebounds.

This Eastern European duo has been an integral part of Harvard’s excellent start, with Peljto averaging 19.5 points and 7.7 rebounds while Cserny has put up 13.3 points and 8.6 rebounds a game in addition to excellent free-throw shooting. Sophomore Tricia Tubridy leads the team on the boards, averaging 9.3 rebounds a game, while senior guard Jen Monti has chipped in six assists a game.

But Harvard will enter the game without sophomore guard Jennifer Lee, a player who became a force for the Crimson at the end of last year. Lee left the team last week citing personal reasons.

“It has nothing to do with the team or the offense or the coaches,” Lee said. “It was more of a personal decision. I just didn’t feel happy—the atmosphere wasn’t for me. Basically, the Crimson style of play is not my style of play. I prefer to be less confined to a system. I like to free-reign, more pick-up style basketball.”

Since leaving the team, Lee has been playing more pick-up basketball, enjoying the game with less pressure.

“I’m sad because Jen loves basketball,” Delaney-Smith said. “We really loved having Jen on the team—that’s the side of it that affects the team. The nice thing about us is that we are a very deep team. [Sophomore Dirkja Dunham] has become one of the first guards off of the bench. She’s arguably the best perimeter guard on the team.”

Dunham has stepped up for the Crimson, filling Lee’s role as the first guard off the bench.

“Physically, [Lee] can do things

that no one else can as far as her jump shot and her pure athletic ability go,” Gates said. “We can fill in physically for her loss, but it’s hard to lose a friend from the team.”

The Crimson won’t have to look far to find Lee’s encouragement. In addition to rooming with and near several players, Lee intends to remain a supportive presence for the team.

“I will definitely show my support to the team,” Lee said. “I love my teammates. Just because I’m not on the team anymore doesn’t mean I won’t be at the games.”