Around the Ivies: Pennsylvania Has The Players to Make Ivies Forget Last Year

By Alan G. Ginsberg, Crimson Staff Writer

Princeton or Penn? Traditionally, that is the only question one has to ask in analyzing any Ivy League basketball season. Only three times since 1959—and not since 1988, when Cornell won the league—has neither school garnered at least a share of the Ivy title. Indeed, the two schools have established almost a pseudo-Ivy League championship game in scheduling their final match-up of the season on the Tuesday after every other Ivy team wraps up its campaign.

Of late, though, the Killer P’s stranglehold on the league has been weakening. Although Princeton did ultimately win the league by two games and Penn tied Brown for second, the season’s final weekend began with four teams remaining in contention.

Along with the parity, the league’s strength overall is the best it has been in recent memory. Already this year, Penn has beaten Georgia Tech and Iowa State and scared No. 2 Illinois before succumbing, 78-71. Brown has defeated Providence on the road, avenging a blowout loss from last year, while Yale has beaten Penn State and Princeton played tough against then-No. 9 St. Joseph’s before falling 74-63.

Bringing the Tigers and the Quakers back to the rest of the league is the graduation of their best players—First-Team All-Ivy selections Nate Walton and Lamar Plummer, respectively. Brown, meanwhile, returns its entire starting five, including junior Earl Hunt, whom many consider the best player in the league. However, the eligibility of junior point guard Andy Toole, who transferred from Elon two years ago, should be enough for Penn to edge out Brown and preserve the two-headed dynasty for one more year.

Pennsylvania

Coach: Fran Dunphy, 13th year (206-122)

Last season: 12-17 (9-5 Ivy), tied-2nd

Key additions: Toole; Tim Begley, G, 6-5, 210, Fr.; Jan Fikiel, F, 6-10, 205, Fr.

Key losses: Plummer, G, 6-1, 185 (14.9 ppg); Geoff Owens, C, 6-11, 240 (9.6 ppg, 6.9 rpg)

Probable starting five: Toole; Begley; Ugonna Onyekwe, F, 6-8, 225, Jr. (13.8 ppg, 7.4 rpg); Koko Archibong, F, 6-8, 215, Jr. (10 ppg, 4.3 rpg); Adam Chubb, C, 6-9, 225, So.

At a glance: Graduating Plummer—as well as Owens, a Second-Team All-Ivy selection—won’t help, but last year’s squad’s biggest problem was team chemistry. Thus, the players have been studying karate together to help team unity. If that’s successful, with Onyekwe, a Second-Team All-Ivy pick in his own right, returning and the addition of Toole, who is the talk of the league, the Quakers hope they’ll be able to wrest the crown from Princeton.

Penn’s 3-1 record this year is a far cry from last season’s atrocious 0-8 start that doomed the Quakers from the outset. Ultimately, they suffered as many Ivy losses as in their previous three campaigns combined.

This year, though, Penn has already posted impressive wins over top-flight national programs Georgia Tech and Iowa State, in addition to staying close against No. 2 Illinois.

The Quakers, too, are deeper this year than in the past, as Toole and Begley have pushed junior guard Dave Klatsky, who last year broke the Quaker record for assists in a season with 162, to the bench.

Either Toole or Onyekwe, the Ivy League’s 7th-leading scorer last season, could emerge as the go-to guy down the stretch for Penn.

The latter, who snared eleven rebounds in a 70-47 thrashing of the Crimson in Philadelphia last February, should also combine with Archibong to form an imposing tandem underneath. The two will be forced to carry an additional burden for the first month of the season, which Chubb will miss due to a stress fracture. Guard Jeff Schiffner will probably replace him as Penn goes with a smaller lineup.

Things could even be worse for the Quakers, as reports out of Philadelphia suggest that Toole may be suffering from a stress fracture of his own in his foot. While the extent of the injury is not yet known, losing Toole for any stretch of time would be a setback Penn would be hard-pressed to overcome.

Brown

Coach: Glen Miller, 3rd year at Brown (23-31), 8th year overall (118-89)

Last season: 15-12, 9-5 Ivy, t-2nd

Key additions: Jason Forte, G, 6-0, 170; Nathan Eads, F/C, 6-8, 190; G. J. King, F, 6-7, 210

Key losses: Jesse Wood, G

Probable starting five: Mike Martin, G, 6-5, 185, So. (6.5 ppg, 2 apg); Omari Ware, G, 6-2, 170, Sr. (7.5 ppg, 3.8 apg); Shaun Etheridge, G, 6-7, 225, Sr. (9 ppg, 5.5 rpg); Hunt, F, 6-5, 200 (19.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg); Alai Nuualiitia, C, 6-7, 200, Jr. (11.7 ppg, 7.9 rpg)

At a glance: Brown loses only Wood, last year’s sixth man who elected not to play this year, from a team that posted the school’s first winning season since 1986.

The Bears will again look to Hunt, a unanimous First-Team All-Ivy selection who led the Ivies in scoring, to be their first offensive option. The most prolific sophomore scorer in league history, Hunt posted 46 points in Brown’s two games against Harvard last year.

Behind Hunt is Nuualiitia, a Second-Team All-Ivy selection who led the league in shooting percentage, hitting 58 percent from the field. Nuualiitia, who teamed in high school with Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, ranked second in the Ivies in rebounding and eleventh in scoring.

In Brown’s 90-82 home victory over the Crimson last season, Nuualiitia, with seventeen points and fifteen rebounds, and Etheridge, with eighteen points and fourteen boards combined to dominate the paint. Etheridge makes his presence known defensively, too—he led the Bears last season with 38 steals.

It will also be interesting to see how significant a contribution Brown enjoys from Forte, the younger brother of former University of North Carolina star and current Boston Celtics first-round draft pick Joseph Forte. No one doubts the younger Forte can score, as he led the nation as a high school senior with thirty points per game. However, he’s also averaging 4.6 assists per game thus far this season.

Princeton

Coach: John Thompson III, 2nd year (16-10)

Last season: 16-10, 11-3 Ivy, 1st

Key additions: Dominick Martin, C, 6-10, 235; Will Venable, G, 6-2, 185

Key losses: Walton, C/F, 6-7, 215 (10.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg); C. J. Chapman

Probable starting five: Ahmed El-Nokali, G, 6-4, 180, Sr. (8.3 ppg); Kyle Wente, G, Jr.; Mike Bechtold, F, 6-6, 210, Sr. (8.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg); Andre Logan, F, 6-7, 235, So. (6.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg); Konrad Wysocki, C, So. (5.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg)

At a glance: Normally, one might expect a team graduating a unanimous First-team All Ivy selection who just happened to lead his team in points, rebounds, assists, and steals, to be in trouble. However, it’s also not normal to return six players with significant starting experience and still have two reserves earn starting positions. That, though, is exactly what has happened for Thompson, the son of the former Georgetown coach.

El-Nokali, Bechtold, Logan and Ed Persia are all back. In addition, key reserves Wente, a sometime starter last year, and Wysocki, the Ivy Rookie of the Year, return. Finally, Ray Robins, a sophomore starter two years ago before taking last season off, and Chris Krug, who started in the 1998-99 season as a freshman before taking two years off, have rejoined the team. Ultimately, Thompson seems to have settled on El-Nokali, the oft-injured Bechtold, Logan, Wente and Wysocki as his starting five, but Persia and Robins have both seen significant minutes off the bench.

While the Tigers are a tall team, with an average height of 6’7, leading them in the quest for their seventh straight postseason appearance will be co-captain El-Nokali, Princeton’s iron man. A three-year starter, the Second-Team All-Ivy point guard spent 92 percent of Princeton’s Ivy League minutes on the floor, playing all forty minutes nine times during the season.

Among the returners, El-Nokali was joined in being honored by the league by Wente, his backcourt mate and an Honorable Mention All-Ivy Choice, and Wysocki. Wente’s name is familiar to Crimson fans because of his miraculous, buzzer-beating three-pointer that beat Harvard at Lavietes last winter. Wysocki, too, has a lot to live up to. The center for Princeton has been named First-Team All-Ivy ten times in the last twelve years.

Columbia

Coach: Armond Hill, 7th year (59-99) Last season: 12-15, 7-7 Ivy, t-4th

Key additions: Jeff Kirkeby, G, 6-5, 185; Jeremia Boswell, G, 6-4, 180; Allan MacQuarrie, G, 6-0, 160

Key losses: None

Probable starting five: Derrick Mayo, G, 6-1, 195, Sr. (3.7 ppg, 2.9 apg); Treg Duerksen, G, 6-3, 200, Sr.; Craig Austin, F, 6-6, 210, Sr. (18.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg); Joe Case, F, 6-8, 220, Sr. (9.2 ppg, 5 rpg); Chris Wiedemann, C, 6-9, 240, Jr. (8 ppg, 6.3 rpg)

At a glance: Like Brown, Columbia returns all five of its starters from last year. Like the Tigers, it runs the “Princeton system” emphasizing disciplined play. Also like Princeton, the Lions have a former starter returning to the team after sitting out a year in Duerksen, who missed last season with a torn ACL and a stress fracture in his foot. His return will allow Hill to use 6’0 guard Victor Munoz, a starter last year, off the bench.

Unlike either Brown or Princeton, however, the Lions have the returning Ivy Player of the Year. Craig Austin, who was also an Honorable Mention All-American, was the league’s leading scorer in Ivy games last year.

If Austin & Co. can stake Columbia to an early lead, the Lions may surprise some people this year.

“When they get you down, it’s hard to claw your way back because they play smart defense,” Harvard junior guard Elliott Prasse-Freeman says.

Columbia has not had a winning record since 1992-93. But last year’s Lions team won eight of its final twelve games and lost each of the others by five points or fewer. Thus, this season could be a breakthrough one for Columbia. In fact, it had better be; with five of the Lions’ top six players being seniors, it might be their last chance for a while.

Yale

Coach: James Jones, 3rd year (17-37)

Last season: 10-17, 7-7 Ivy, t-4th

Key additions: Edwin Draughan, G, 6-5, 190; Jerry Gauriloff, C, 6-9, 225

Key losses: Neil Yanke, C, 6-11, 250 (12.5 ppg, 6.7 rpg); Isaiah Cavaco, G, 5-10, 170; Bill Parkhurst, C, Jr.; Tom Kritzer, F/C, 6-10, 250

Probable starting five: Chris Leanza, G, 6-1, 180, Jr. (13.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg); Draughan; Ime Archibong, G/F, 6-3, 215, Jr. (9.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg); T. J. McHugh, F, 6-8, 230, Jr. (3.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg); Paul Vitelli, F/G, 6-7, 210, So. (5.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg);

At a glance: It’s no secret to anyone that Leanza is the centerpiece of the Bulldog offense. Last year, the Honorable Mention All-Ivy selection led the team in scoring, assists and minutes played. He did it all without even practicing, as he tried to baby his injured shoulder which had undergone unsuccessful experimental surgery over the off-season. Unfortunately for Yale, he went under the knife again this off-season, sidelining him until January, although he should return for the start of the Ivy campaign.

Six-foot freshman guard Alex Gamboa will step into Leanza’s slot in the starting lineup, but it’s another freshman—the highly-touted Draughan—and Archibong who will need to pick up the slack in Leanza’s absence.

Losing Kritzer and Second-Team All-Ivy selection Yanke, the team’s twin towers, has dealt a significant blow to the Bulldogs’ inside presence. But they’re hoping that once Leanza returns, he and Archibong, who combined for 41 points in an 85-83 overtime victory at Harvard last year, should combine with Draughan to score points in bunches from the perimeter.

Dartmouth

Coach: Dave Faucher, 11th year (116-146)

Last season: 8-19, 3-11 Ivy, t-7th

Key additions: Brandon Smith, F, 6-8, 215; Steve Callahan, G, 6-3, 190; David Gardner, C, 6-9 225 Mike McLaren, G/F, 6-3, 185

Key losses: Greg Buth, G, 6-4, 195 (16.3 ppg); Ian McGinnis, F/C, 6-8, 245 (9.9 ppg, 9.6 rpg); Mark Kissling, F, 6-9, 205 (8.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg)

Probable starting five: Flinder Boyd, G, 5-11, 175, Sr. (8.5 ppg, 5.2 apg); McLaren; Vedad Osmanovic, F, 6-5, 190, Sr. (8.8 ppg); Charlie Harris, G, 6-4, 190, Jr. (6.4 ppg); Greg Friel, G/F, 6-5, 205, Jr. (1.7 ppg);

At a glance: The Big Green graduates three starters, including its two top scorers and rebounders, leaving a young team with only four upperclassmen at a loss as to where to find scoring and leadership.

With the graduation of Honorable Mention All-Ivy selection Buth, the first place to look is to co-captains Boyd and Osmanovic, who recently gained his American citizenship. Boyd, while a four-year starter and an assist machine, is shaky at best as a scorer. Kissling’s decision to focus on academics his senior year deprives Dartmouth of another potential threat.

In short, it’s a tough call as to which will be longer this year in Hanover: the winter or the basketball season.

Cornell

Coach: Steve Donahue, 2nd year (7-20)

Last season: 7-20, 3-11 Ivy, t-7th

Key additions: Gabe Stephenson, F/C, 6-8, 210; Cody Toppert, G, 6-4, 190; Chris Vandenberg, F, 6-10, 225

Key losses: Ray Mercedes, F, 6-5, 210 (13 ppg, 6.1 rpg); Kevin Cuttica, G, 6-3, 190 (7.5 ppg); Greg Barratt, F, 6-9, 230 (7.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg)

Probable starting five: Wallace Prather, G, 5-9, 185, Sr. (8.1 ppg, 2.3 apg); Ka’Ron Barnes, G, 6-0, 175, So. (9.9 ppg, 2.6 apg); Jake Rohe, F, 6-6, 215, Jr. (8 ppg, 5.8 apg); Vandenberg; Toppert

At a glance: Donahue, a long-time assistant at Penn, is accustomed to looking at Ivy basketball from above. Last year, he became familiar with how the other half lives, and there’s no reason to think this season won’t bring more of the same.

Any success the Big Red does have, however, is likely to stem from the undersized but talented backcourt of Prather and Barnes, the top scorer among Ivy rookies last year.

Beyond that, Rohe, who scored 17 in a 65-57 loss to the Crimson in Ithaca in February, established himself as a viable third option last season. Vandenberg also has a significant upside, but it appears the young Cornell team won’t have to wait long to enter “wait ‘til next year” mode.

* * *

As is consistent with the recent trend, with a few breaks, any of six Ivy teams could find itself in contention.

“We’ve got to worry about everybody. The thing about the Ivy League is that more than ever, there’s parity. There aren’t teams that are going to dominate any more the way Penn and Princeton used to,” Prasse-Freeman says.

If nothing else, it should be an interesting year.

“One of the good things about the Ivy League is that we always believe strange things can happen. If you’re ready, there’s winning to be had,” Harvard Coach Frank Sullivan says.