Shira Palmer-Sherman Remembered

400 attend Pforzheimer memorial for student killed in collision

By Joseph P. Flood, Crimson Staff Writer

More than 400 people came together last night at Pforzheimer House to remember Shira B. Palmer-Sherman '02, the New Jersey native who died on Dec. 22, a few days after being struck by a car on Eliot St.

The memorial service, co-sponsored by Pforzheimer and Harvard Hillel, marked "shloshim," the thirty day period of mourning that follows a Jewish funeral, a time when people traditionally come together to remember the deceased.

A diverse array of mourners attended the service, including family, students, faculty, doctors, Harvard police officers, and graduates of Horace Mann High School in New York City, Palmer-Sherman's alma mater. The crowd filled the dining hall to capacity.

The evening began with three speakers, each recounting fond memories of the time they spent with Palmer-Sherman.

The first was Alisa Tantraphol '02, Palmer-Sherman's roomate for two years.

"Having Shira as a roommate made all the difference between Harvard being a cold and lonely place and being a loving home," Tantraphol said.

Zinaida Miller, a junior at Yale Univerisity, and Moshe Y. Spinowitz '02 also spoke.

Following a prayer, the lights went down and a projection screen descended for a slide show. The crowd greeted the photos, ranging from baby pictures to more recent pictures taken of Palmer-Sherman and her friends, with mixture of laughter and tears.

Audience members then shared stories about Palmer-Sherman.

Some told stories about her love of music and drama and her knowledge of nearly every Broadway musical ever performed. Others spoke of time spent with her at Hillel, discussing religion and politics.

One speaker called Palmer-Sherman's life "a beautiful work of art, wonderfully crafted, beautifully performed."

Nearly everyone spoke of how important she was to those who knew her and her willingness to do anything to help them.

Rabbi Shai A. Held '94 of Hillel closed the service by leading the audience in the singing of a traditional Jewish song.

"I think it was really nice the way that the Pforzheimer and Hillel communities were able to come together," said Michael A. Kay '01, a former chair of Hillel. "It can be tough with someone like Shira who had so many friends in so many different communities, but that was not a problem."

A number of projects in memory of Palmer-Sherman are currently underway.

Hillel has set up the Shira Palmer-Sherman Memorial Fund which will support the arts and drama at Hillel. The fund also will provide money for a community menorah to celebrate Hanukah.

Pforzheimer House also plans to plant a tree and install a commemorative plaque in the House courtyard.

Despite the somber tone, many at the service said they appreciated it and pointed to the importance of coming together to mourn a loss.

"I have never in my life seen people comfort each other the way they have the last six weeks," Held said. "I can't think of a better testament to Shira than people loving the people she loved, which is what this has been all about."