A Lifetime of Service

J. Joseph Moakley, member of Congress and son of Southie, ends a distinguished career

By The CRIMSON Staff

In an age when politicians seem more like celebrities than servants of the people, J. Joseph Moakley, a political icon of South Boston, distinguishes himself from the crowd. Describing himself as a "bread-and-butter Democrat," Moakley has toiled in the political arena for nearly 50 years, winning the respect of Congressmen and common citizens alike. In light of this career of unwavering dedication, we were greatly saddened to learn Feb. 12 that Moakley will not be able to seek reelection due to an incurable form of leukemia.

Moakley's long service to his community began as a teenager, when he served in the Navy during World War II. In 1953, he won a seat in the Massachusetts House of Representatives and worked there for a decade; he then moved to the state Senate, the Boston City Council and eventually the U.S. House of Representatives in 1972.

Moakley gained power and influence in the Democrat-controlled House, reaching the pinnacle of his career as chair of the Rules Committee, a final checkpoint for all legislation. In 1989, investigations he pursued helped implicate the military of El Salvador in the murder of six Jesuit priests, a finding that dried up American military aid and hastened the end of El Salvador's civil war.

Though his national prestige increased, Moakley never forgot the city in which he was born and raised, working to provide the funding for cleaning up Boston Harbor, rebuilding the Central Artery and constructing a new federal courthouse in downtown Boston.

Moakley said that he plans to continue to fight for prescription drug coverage and a stabilization of Medicare funding in his retirement. Moreover, he intends on remaining in Congress until a successor is elected, a decision that epitomizes his love of the job and his devotion to the people of Boston. Moakley has established a political life that we wish more public servants would emulate.

Our hopes and prayers are with Moakley as he begins to confront a deadly cancer. Judging by his political career, we know that he will fight to the very end.