Robbery Attempted Behind Leverett House

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) is urging caution after an attempted robbery Wednesday night on the path behind the Leverett House towers.

A Harvard graduate student walking with a companion along the path Wednesday around 8 p.m. was approached by three black males, aged 16 to 18 years old, wearing dark puffy jackets.

The victim had previously walked past the three subjects at the corner of Grant and Athens Street.

While talking on his cellular phone, the student was approached from behind by the first subject in that group.

The subject hit the student in the back of the head and attempted to take the cellular phone.

The phone fell out of the student's hand and the suspects subsequently fled down the pathway to Grant Street. No words were exchanged and no one reported injuries.

"It appears the cell phone was the target," said HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara.

McNamara said detectives have not yet ruled the incident a pack robbery since only one person approached the victim.

"We hope the investigation will determine whether they were acting in concert," she said.

McNamara urged students to be aware of their surroundings, to try to walk in groups and to report any suspicious activity immediately.

The number of street robberies increased three-fold over the past year in the neighborhood encompassing Leverett House, according to statistics released yesterday by the Cambridge Police Department.

The area around Leverett House was the subject of several incidents last year, including an indecent assault last September at the same location. Earlier in the year, a pack of robbers moved through the area in a one-night crime spree that included four robberies and two assaults. No one was arrested in any of the incidents.

Anyone with information about the robbery is requested to contact HUPD's Criminal Investigation Division at 496-1796.