Looks Are Everything

Proposed Mt. Auburn St. building will be more of an eyesore than Mather House

By The CRIMSON Staff

Last week, the University revealed its proposal for a new building on Mt. Auburn St. that will house the main offices of the Harvard University libraries. However, when we look at the model presented by award-winning Viennese architect Hans Hollein, all we can do is stare, agog and open-mouthed, with one burning question in mind: Why?

The projected building--which unoriginally resembles a large glass and concrete book--would be situated in the midst of the old-fashioned, quaint structures that currently line the picturesque avenue. The building is supposedly designed to blend into the aesthetic of the community, an intent it accomplishes just as well as its stand-out predecessors Mather Hall, William James Hall, Canaday Hall, William James Hall and the Science Center. For years these embodiments of beauty and tradition have graced the Cambridge community with the flare of glass, concrete and primary colors. Clearly the University is committed to continuing this high standard of architectural excellence.

We find it ironic that in the one area where the University has decided to take a progressive stance we are least likely to welcome change. There are some institutions and traditions that deserve to remain untainted, and the red brick buildings that define the Harvard style are fundamentally tied to the University's identity. We enjoy reveling in the beauty and history of this place.

The small-town feeling, the graceful domes that rise into the skyline and the Georgian architecture all contribute to the unique environment that Harvard provides. By introducing these modern eyesores into the community, the University is deconstructing one of its best attributes rather than accomplishing its unstated goal of modernization.

Perhaps our sentiments over this matter are best expressed by the well-known Bob Seger lyrics: "Call us relics, call us what you will. Say we're old fashioned, say we're over the hill. Today's buildings ain't got the same soul. We love our old-time Georgian homes."