New HASCS Policy Affects Programs

By Kate L. Rakoczy, Crimson Staff Writer

Napster, Dialpad.com and Internet video games are among several types of popular applications that have been negatively affected in the last two weeks, since Harvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS) initiated new policies to limit traffic on the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) network.

Kevin Davis '98, coordinator of residential computing for FAS Computer Services, said that although the new traffic-shaping policy is proving effective in keeping outbound traffic under control and improving overall network response times, it has caused students to encounter failures and delays when using peer-to-peer file transfer programs, web-to-phone services and video games.

Anna Yesilevsky '04 said that she has not been able to use Internet calling services such as Dialpad, Net2Phone, and Microsoft Netmeeting for over a week. As a result, she has had to use calling cards to keep in touch with friends and family in her home state of California.

"It's incredibly annoying," Yesilevsky said. "I understand why they have to do it, but I wish there was some other way."

Davis said the reason why traffic-shaping causes such problems is that it gives priority to well-known network traffic, such as web-browsing, Telnet and FTP traffic. Any outgoing information that is not so well known by the server is sent into a pending cue, where it waits until there is a lull in overall network traffic.

For example, a student attempting to use a program like Dialpad might be able to make a call via the network and initiate a conversation, but traffic on the network might be so heavy that the conversation may be sent to the pending cue to wait.

The "words" wait with the likes of Napster uploads and other non-priority traffic. They are eventually sent out by the network, but such delays make Internet conversations virtually impossible.

However, the shaping policy is only a temporary relief measure, Davis said. HASCS plans to erect a network firewall once it completes a testing phase of the firewall on the computers of student volunteers. That testing period will begin next Friday.

Davis said the firewall, which would prevent Internet users outside of Harvard from gaining access to programs, files, music, and videos contained on Harvard students' computers, will likely be a long-term solution to the problem of heavy traffic on the FAS network.

In the meantime, students will have to get used to the delays.

"Right now, there's just no good way to get such programs going," Davis said.

Randy D. Xu '04 said that he is displeased with the current network problems, and that he feels HASCS has not made a large enough effort to let students know about the policy changes.

"The least they could have done is send out an e-mail about this," he said.

Davis said that HASCS has chosen to follow its own policy banning mass-e-mails, and that it will do its best to use other methods, such as announcements in House newsletters and the Yard Bulletin, to alert the Harvard community about further changes in the FAS network.