Environment Professor Wins Heinz Award

By Winnie Wu, Crimson Staff Writer

Heinz professor of environmental policy John P. Holdren was awarded $250,000 yesterday for his work in nuclear nonproliferation and global energy conservation.

Each year, Heinz awards are given to five people who have made significant social contributions in the areas of the arts, humanities, technology and public policy.

The award was established in 1993 to commemorate U.S. Senator John Heinz, who Professor Holdren worked with during a stay at Berkeley working on energy and environmental issues.

"It is a great honor to receive the recognition, but particularly so because the Heinz name is attached to it. It was doubly nice for me because I'm a great admirer of the late John Heinz, for whom the award is named, and Teresa Heinz, who will give out the award," he said. Noting that his endowed chair is named after Teresa and John Heinz, he added, "I've been multiply honored by the Heinz."

Holdren began his career as a physicist, and was involved in early research on nuclear fusion. His interest in energy technology eventually led to a lifetime of work on the interface of science and public policy.

According to the award website, Professor Holdren received the Heinz Award "for his prodigious contributions to such complex issues as arms control, sustainable development and global energy resources...Dr. Holdren's contributions to public policy are noteworthy, not simply because of their quality and scope, but also because they span a number of disciplines."

Professor Holdren does not yet have definite plans for the award money. Part of the sum may go to public policy organizations, and the rest to his retirement plan.

Formerly a faculty member at the University of California, Berkeley, Holdren founded the environmental studies program and an energy and resources institute at Berkeley. In 1995, Holdren came to Harvard.

He has been active in public policy issues, serving various advisory roles since the 1970s, most recently as a member of President Clinton's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology since 1994.

As chairman of the Committee on International Security and Arms Control of the National Academy of Sciences, Holdren has been an active in efforts to prevent the misuse of nuclear weapons, which have become more readily available since Russia's disarmament after the Cold War.

"Not only has Professor Holdren been very involved in policy in Washington, he is also very involved in undergraduate issues here at Harvard," Professor Michael B. McElroy, Holdren's colleague in the EPS department, said. "He is active in the Earth and Planetary Sciences concentration as a member of the Board of Tutors and teaches a 2 year seminar each year," McElroy.

Daniel P. Schrag, who teaches a spring junior seminar on population and environment with Holdren said "John has lived in the spirit of investing in people for a long time by educating people in a wide range of scientific issues important to society and applying scientists' understanding of natural world to resolve social problems."

In fact, Schrag said that when he left Princeton four years ago to come teach in Cambridge, "Professor Holdren was one of the great attractions for me to come to Harvard."

"Everyone in the department is delighted to see him receive this honor. It is greatly deserved," said EPS department chair Jeremy Bloxham.