Radcliffe Trust Holds Winter Tea

By Juliet J. Chung, Crimson Staff Writer

More than 60 students, Faculty and administrators mingled over tea and cookies yesterday at the Ann Radcliffe Trust's fourth annual winter tea.

"I'm pleased with the way it's sounding cheery, with the way the room is filling up," said Karen E. Avery '87, director of the Trust and assistant dean of the college.

The Trust, a College sponsored initiative, aims to serve as the umbrella organization for Harvard student groups with an interest in women's issues.

As they were serenaded by a harpist, several undergraduates said they attended the tea to represent their respective organizations--from the Women's Leadership Project to GirlSpot--while others said they simply wanted to relax.

A sizable contingent of transfer and visiting students also attended the event, held at the Faculty Club.

Nancy M.B. Poon '01 said she liked the leisure time afforded by the tea.

"This is one of those rare opportunities at Harvard where you see people you don't have a chance to interact with regularly," Poon said.

Hillary L. Levey '02 said she felt heartened by the presence of males in the predominantly female crowd.

"It's nice that there are males here," Levey said. "With the [Harvard Radcliffe] merger it's good that there are males here to share in the community."

Traditionally a holiday tea held in December, Avery said the tea was moved to February this year because December was simply too busy for most people.

The tea was open to all undergraduates, female Faculty, Core professors and administrators.

Also in attendance at the tea were Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth '71.