Kirkland Senior Tutor to Depart After Five Years of Service

By Elliott W. Balch, Contributing Writer

Kirkland House Senior Tutor Mark P. Risinger has announced that he will leave in June to pursue a career in composition, performance, and scholarship.

Risinger has been Kirkland's Allston Burr Senior Tutor for five years, a time that he said has been one of the happiest of his life.

"It's been the most amazing experience I've ever had," he said.

Risinger said he is being pushed out of his position as a result of the College's senior tutor appointment cycle--one can stay in the position for a maximum of five years. But he said he feels happy with Kirkland's direction for the future.

"I'm proudest that I feel like I'm leaving with a wonderful new set of masters in place," Risinger said.

Co-masters Tom C. Conley and Verena A. Conley are in their first year in Kirkland. Verena Conley, a visiting professor of literature, said she has "nothing but praise" for Risinger.

"He is equally at ease with the students, tutors and masters," she said.

Kirkland resident Mary K. Gardner '02 said she lived across the hall from Risinger and roommate Brian P. Fehlau as a sophomore.

"Brian would watch TV with us," Gardner said. "Mark and Brian were amazing."

Rebecca C. Hardiman '01 expressed similar feelings.

"He eats with us all the time and knows our names," she said. "And he can play the harpsichord."

Kirkland resident Bryan M. Parker '02 said he's "heard some people say [Risinger] can be strict."

But Parker called Risinger "awesome," and said he "gives good advice."

Conley said the news of Risinger's departure was not a shock.

"We came in knowing it might be his last year," she said.

Risinger, a lecturer in Harvard's music department, said the job of senior tutor has cut into the time he can spend on other work.

"I feel like in some ways it's a good time to enter a new phase of my career, and also to return to being much more active as a scholar," Risinger said.

Risinger said he plans to move to New York when he leaves Harvard this spring. There, he plans to return to writing and performing opera and other forms of music.

Meanwhile, Risinger said his scholarship will focus on his research of Georg Frederic Handel. Specifically, he plans to be involved with Harvard faculty on such projects as the upcoming complete publication of Handel's works in Germany.

Conley said the search for Risinger's replacement has already narrowed to several candidates from inside and outside the College.