Summers Courts Council Brass--Strictly Off the Record

By Alexander B. Ginsberg, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard President-designate Lawrence H. Summers met last night with members of the Undergraduate Council for a question-and-answer session hours after he secured the University's top post.

After cracking jokes and shaking hands, Summers said he wanted his first action as president to be opening a dialogue with Harvard's undergraduates.

"When I heard there was already an [Undergraduate Council] meeting tonight," Summers said, "I wanted to take the opportunity for a candid exchange of views."

After Summers' brief introduction, the meeting, held at 8 p.m. in Loeb House, was closed to reporters at Summers' request.

Members of the council, however, said that the meeting was productive.

"I think inviting the UC to be the first group he meets with is a statement," said Council President Paul A. Gusmorino '02.

Todd E. Plants '01, chair of the council's Student Affairs Committee, said he agreed.

"The statement is that he cares about what undergraduates have to say," Plants said.

At one point, Summers asked the students if they were on a first-name basis with any of their professors.

Council members said about half of the audience raised their hands.

Summers then asked if any of the council members had had 20-minute conversations with a faculty member about an intellectual interest.

Only a quarter raised their hands.

"One priority for me has been improving student-faculty interaction," Gusmorino said. "I'm pleased that it is a priority for him, too."

According to Gusmorino, Summers said accessibility was important for increasing undergraduates' role in University operations.

Summers was also asked about his views on the Living Wage Campaign.

"He seemed aware of the issue, but didn't take a firm stance," Gusmorino said.

Members of the council were notified individually about the meeting yesterday afternoon.

"I'm very pleased the entire UC was invited to meet with the new president," Gusmorino said.

--Staff writer Alexander B. Ginsberg can be reached at ginsberg@fas.harvard.edu.