Softball Splits Weekend Series with Drexel

By Robert A. Cacace, Crimson Staff Writer

While the festivities of a Boston-based St. Patrick's Day celebration may have eluded it, the Harvard softball team is not shedding any tears after its successful weekend in Philadelphia.

The Crimson continued its strong play against the Drexel Dragons, splitting a two-game series over the weekend.

Sophomore Tiffany Whitton was out dueled, 2-1, in the first game by Dragon ace Lori Swanson, but Senior Chelsea Thoke helped Harvard storm back in the second match, pitching five no-hit innings in the 7-1 victory.

"We came out and showed that we can beat Northeast teams," Thoke said. "We played great, despite the tough field conditions."

Harvard 7, Drexel 1

Thoke took to the mound with a vengeance, looking to equal her strong showing on the team's California road trip two weeks ago.

The only hit Thoke allowed was a ball ruled fair after third-baseman Lisa Feigenbaum tipped it.

"I was a little disappointed that I didn't come out as explosive as I wanted," Thoke said. "My screwball wasn't working to start the game."

Thoke went to her curveball, and struck out the side in the second and third innings, giving the Harvard offense the motivation to come alive.

Fu was again involved in the Crimson attack.

After tri-captain Mairead McKendry singled in two runs, Fu hit a bases-clearing triple to give the Crimson a commanding, 5-1, lead.

Freshman Kara Brotemarkle relieved Thoke, and closed out the 7-1 Harvard victory.

"We were definitely hungry for a win the second game," Fu said. "We felt like we could have done better in the first one, and wanted to get the offense going."

Drexel 2, Harvard 1

In the first game on sandy Drexel Field, Swanson's tough riseball was enough to throw the Crimson offense off track. The lone Harvard run came off junior Cherry Fu's second-inning homerun.

Although Fu's blast was equalized in the bottom of the inning, the run was important for Harvard's offense.

"She had a great riseball," Fu said. "I think it taught us that we need to adjust to different styles or it will cost us. We'll be better prepared for the next pitcher like [Swanson]."

Both pitchers maintained control of the game. Swanson turned in a virtuoso performance, striking out 15 hitters in the game. Whitton regained control after a wild second and pitched the rest of the game for the Crimson.

In the bottom of the seventh, Drexel edged out the Crimson on a RBI double by sophomore Cassie Snow.

The Crimson hopes to sustain its strong play against top teams as it heads to Georgia for the Buzz Classic.