Athletes of the Week: The Dynamic Duo Breaks Record Milestones

By Jared R. Small, Crimson Staff Writer

Botts passes to Shewchuk…she shoots…she scores. Shewchuk leaves it for Botts…she shoots…she scores.

It doesn't really matter which way you look at it. Whether threading the pass or finishing the perfect play, these two Canadian-born dynamos can light the lamp.

When senior forward Tammy Shewchuk reached the 300-point milestone during the third period of Saturday's 7-1 win over St. Lawrence in the ECAC semifinals, it was fitting that she gave credit to her linemate, junior co-captain Jennifer Botterill.

Kalen Ingram and Pamela Van Reesema were credited with the assists on that particular slapper, but it was Botterill's diversion that allowed Shewchuk to find the back of the net.

"I just came down the ice and had Jen streaking down the wing and defense didn't know what to do as far as who to take," Shewchuk said.

Although this time it wasn't a Botterill pass that set up Shewchuk, it has been three years worth of Botterill feeds that have helped Shewchuk become the all-time leading scorer in Harvard history.

Likewise, when Botterill converted an Angie Francisco feed into a short-handed tally in Sunday's 3-1 loss to Dartmouth, Shewchuk deserved the real assist. Botterill's goal marked an NCAA record 79th consecutive time that she has managed at least one point in a game, and in many games it's been Shewchuk's ability to convert Botterill's passes into goals that has made this record possible.

Each deserves credit for the other's success. Without each other, they'd still be superstars. But with each other, they are more than superstars.

Fittingly, Botterill and Shewchuk have each been named finalists for the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, which recognizes the top player in women's college hockey. Since the other finalist is Minnesota defenseman Courtney Kennedy, it is safe to say that Harvard's duo is the best in the land.

No matter how many individual accolades come their way, however, Botterill and Shewchuk have not lost sight of the larger goal, bringing home a national championship.

That quest will continue Friday night when the Crimson lace up against No. 2 Minnesota-Duluth in the Frozen Four semifinals.

All that matters then is the game and winning Harvard's second national title in three years.

Until the Kazmaier announcement Saturday, however, expect the hype and anticipation surrounding this one-two punch to keep escalating.