Sigma Chi Hopes To Keep Possession of House

By Marla B. Kaplan and William M. Rasmussen, Crimson Staff Writers

The Mt. Auburn St. house used by the Sigma Chi fraternity has been put up for sale with a price tag of $3 million.

The board of owners--comprised of alumni from both Sigma Chi and the former Pi Eta fraternity--have not yet received any official offers. But the president of Sigma Chi has expressed interest in preserving his organization's use of the building.

Currently, former Pi Eta members hold a majority stake in the board that owns the house. Under terms of the ownership agreement, though, ownership of the house will eventually shift to Sigma Chi if no sale takes place.

In a statement released yesterday, Sigma Chi said its first priority is to delay or cancel the sale. Otherwise, the organization said it will try to raise the funds to purchase the building, soliciting help from fraternity alumni.

According to Sigma Chi president Michael G. Housman '01, it will be difficult for the fraternity to raise the required funds because of the youth of its alumni. The Harvard chapter of the fraternity was chartered in 1992.

"Our alumni haven't been out in the working world very long," Housman said.

With its central location in Harvard Square, the building could figure into the expansion plans of either Harvard or one of its many student groups.

However, according to Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth '71, the University has no current plans to purchase the house.

But Illingworth did not rule out the possibility that the Faculty of Arts and Sciences might the building.

"We have unmet space needs in many areas. We would like to see [the building] used for the maximum involvement of students," Illingworth said.

A recent increase in student interest in Greek life and other social organizations has led to speculation that several of Harvard's newer social organizations might be looking to acquire the house.

But the presidents of many of these organizations say they are not interested.

The president of the Seneca, Alison E. Fisher, said her organization does not plan on buying the house.

"We are constantly looking for opportunities for the Seneca to have a space, but as of now, we have not found anything to suit our needs," Fisher said.

Alpha Epsilon Pi, a new fraternity which just received its charter, isn't pursuing the Mt. Auburn St. house either, according to its president Scott A. Penner '01.