Citing Faculty Size, Knowles Tells Council Expansion Is a Top Priority

By Alex B. Ginsberg, Crimson Staff Writer

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles told members of the Undergraduate Council that he sees Harvard expanding--both academically and physically.

Knowles, fielding questions at last night's council meeting, said increasing the size of Harvard's faculty as well as classroom and living space would be his top priorities.

"Our student to faculty ratio is worse than a number of other schools," Knowles said.

According to Knowles, adding faculty members would allow the University to tackle problems like overcrowding in first-year classes.

"Class size isn't the problem," Knowles said. "It's how the small classes are distributed over the course of the four years. Most small classes are for juniors and seniors."

Knowles said the move to increase faculty would also force the University to increase its physical space.

"A professor in the sciences could need 4,000 to 5,000 square feet," Knowles said. "The question is where do we get them."

He said Harvard's purchase of 52 acres of land in nearby Allston was an example of "the Corporation looking ahead and grasping the moment."

Knowles noted that, in 2012, the College will likely take over the building that is now the Inn at Harvard, thereby making space available for faculty and students.

He also said renovations on existing structures would be key to increasing undergraduate living space. But adding a 13th House to the College's residential system is not a likely option, according to Knowles.

"Even if you gave me $300 million or more for a new House," he said. "I don't know where I'd put it."

Other Business

T

hree bills were on the council's docket last night, two of which passed.

T

In the night's most contentious debate, the "Shuttle Service Reform Act of 2001" was eventually tabled indefinitely--denied by detractors who claimed the bill had not been adequately researched.

Co-sponsored by James R. Griffin '01 and Todd E. Plants '01, chair of the council's Student Advisory Committee, the bill was designed to recommend that the University alter its shuttle schedule to better serve undergraduates.

It called for changes both in the number of shuttles and in the routes they follow.

But the bill's opponents asked why the University was not consulted first about which changes would be feasible.

The council decided unanimously to sponsor Har'd CORPS Day on April 7th by encouraging campus-wide participation in community service.

The council also decided overwhelmingly to create a "student group resources" kiosk either in front of or inside the council's Holworthy basement office.

The kiosk will contain forms and flyers from student groups campus-wide.