M. Tennis Tops Tigers in Miami

By Robert A. Cacace, Crimson Staff Writer

Felicitously removed from the wintry weather currently plaguing the Northeast, the Harvard men's tennis team wrapped up its two-day swing through sunny Florida with an impressive 5-2 win over the Clemson Tigers.

Harvard began the weekend with a loss to the University of South Florida on its home courts in Tampa.

The Crimson, currently ranked No. 37 in the nation, was able to bounce back by overcoming the ferocity of the No. 33 Tigers.

Harvard began by winning the team point, as two of the three doubles matches were taken by Crimson pairs.

The freshman duo of Mark Riddell and Ryan Browne scored an 8-3 win over Damissa Robinson and Micah Thompson at No. 3 doubles. At No. 1 doubles, junior Dalibor Snyder and sophomore Oli Chooupset upset No. 46 Josh Goffi and Marko Gojanovic, 8-6.

The Crimson took four of the six singles matches. The most impressive victory came at the No. 1 slot, where Cliff Nguyen defeated No. 34 Josh Goffi.

Nguyen's punishing groundstrokes wore Goffi down, and gave him a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory.

Junior William Lee claimed victory at the No. 2 spot, coming from behind against Thompson. Lee was able to forget about a crushing first set loss and went on to win 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.

"This team is developing a belief that if they just keep running and fighting that good things can happen," said Head Coach David Fish "To perform this well on our second day outdoors under such windy and warm conditions is a real accomplishment for a team that has not hit a ball outdoors since November."