Project Health Gets its Groove On: FinkFankFunk at Loker Commons

By Andrew D. Goulet, Contributing Writer

FUNK FEVER, at Loker Commons February 23On Friday Feb.23, in a corner of Loker Commons, the first of three bands performing for Project Health's benefit concert, Funk Fever, kicked off the night's three consecutive hours of shows. Those who endured the late start witnessed a fabulous evening of events. DPH Funk Machine played music as eclectic as its name, mixing the sounds of the saxophones of Rob Lee '03 and Joseph Cousin '02, the keyboard of Alex Gordon '04, the drums of Vahid Hakimzadeh '04, the electric guitar of David Plunkett '04, the bass guitar of Previn Warren's '04 and the electric violin of Gabriel Jostrom.

The members of this group had not all played together prior to their set. However, their improvisations (and occasional dissonance) did not detract from their act.Their psychadelic jazz and funk beats pulsed through the gradually growing audience while the plaintive melodies of the sax and violin accompanied. The band's forty minutes of almost non-stop playing established the perfect casual and groovy environment for the evening.

The night's special guest, Ari Hest, hailing from New York City, took to the stage next. Hest followed his Midwestern college tour with this return to Boston for the first time since infancy and proved himself to be an exceptional performer. Hest emulates his influences: Toto, the Police, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, and Lenny Kravitz. His acoustic rock, which reveals some jazz and funk tendencies, is often equated with the sounds of Sting, Dave Matthews Band, and Buckley. His strong vocals, hardly daunted by higher registers, also contributed to an impressive set.

The soloist compensated for his non-funk status by incorporating quality songs "Chitter Chatter" and "Pound for Pound." Much of Hest's original work conveys themes of lost, failing, or unrequited love. However, the artist also received a great audience response to his covers of George Michael's "Faith" and Squeeze's "Tempted." One song dedicated to a former fellow restaurant employee, Tito, featured a cut of Toto's "Africa."

Hest frequently peppered his show with anecdotes concerning his tours and pertaining to the pieces he played. He is an enthusiastic and passionate artist whose music, though not completely cohesive with the theme of the evening, kept audiences entertained and satisfied. He was even asked to play an encore, for which he chose "Make Moves."

The NYU senior displays great talent and should be successful in his goal of finding additional musicians with whom he may tour and acquire a full band sound. Hest's music both pleased audiences and built suspense for the concert's headliners FinkFankFunk.

Hest offered the microphone to former high school classmate and lead singer of the 11-person funk band, Ben Scheuer '04, who demanded that the audience, who had listened to the previous groups intently while sitting, get up to get down. As a new addition to the band, Scheuer's rockstar persona jives well with his company and adds to FinkFankFunk's polished quality. As soon as the band began its cover of Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Aeroplane," it had the audience dancing on their feet.

This year, the band also welcomed new members bass guitarist Jesse Andrews '04 and assistant vocalist Malaika Butoyi '04; they incorporated them seamlessly into their funk juggernaut. Butoyi's rising and falling soulful vocals brought new depth to the band's voice. She and the other lead played off each other and the audience very well. Band cofounder Alex Scammon '01 says the band's goal is "to be irresistably groovy. To take grooviness over the top with overpowering horns and in your face attitude."

Part of this attitude is conveyed through the members' outrageous attire. Fans themselves have begun to dress for the occasion of a FinkFankFunk concert, and Scammon asserts that this proves the band is succeeding in its goals. Audience members have even begun to bring props to gigs, as was demonstrated by the use of hula-hoops at that night's performance. The group mainly performs covers and cites influences such as James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Sly Stone, Tower of Power, Parliament and Kool and the Gang. FinkFankFunk arose from failed attempts at a Dixieland trio two years ago and has since gone through several changes in musicians and instruments to reach its current state.

The band now showcases a powerful brass section of Daniel Rhodes '01 on trumpet and Eric Rosenbaum '01 on trombone; a groovy sax section of Alec Spiegelman '03 on alto, Alexander Scammon on baritone and Jake Fleming '01 on tenor; Ari Appel '02 on guitar; Mike Large '01 on keyboard and the band's only off campus member, Brett Rautenberg, on drums.

Despite the immensity of this band, practically all musicians have a chance to demonstrate their individual talents in solos, from which Scammon says "new material grows." FinkFankFunk has definite plans of recording in the near future, after which their music will become available to a much larger public.

As evidenced by their performance, FinkFankFunk's talent is impressive and their appeal just as great. With the final chord of the evening played right at midnight, FinkFankFunk concluded the benefit concert of close to three hours of funk. Satisfied audience members filed out, asking, "When can we do that again?"

Judging by the eagerness of the evening's performers to satisfy their audience, there will be more funk in the future.