Kirkland Selects New Senior Tutor

By Sarah A. Dolgonos, Crimson Staff Writer

Timothy C. Harte `90-marathon runner, movie buff, and Slavics scholar-has been an active figure in Kirkland House for four years as an intramural teammate and director of the Kirkland movie society. Next year, Harte will take on new responsibilities as Kirkland House's Allston Burr Senior Tutor.

"I'm certainly looking forward to a new role, perhaps a more influential role in the House," Harte said. "I love the idea of complementing my work in Russian Literature by working with the students."

Harte will assume the position at the end of this year, after outgoing Senior Tutor Mark P. Risinger finishes his fifth year in the office. Harte will also lecture for the College beginning next year.

As Harte received the appointment last Friday, those closest to him had nothing but praise for the new appointee.

Risinger spoke of Harte's popularity among the students and his success in connecting to Kirkland students through the film society and house athletics.

Risinger also praised Harte for his successful term as fellowships tutor, through which he produced several Marshall and Truman Scholars, as well as a Rhodes Scholar.

"His track record, no pun intended, has been really terrific as the fellowships tutor," Risinger said. "I expect him to do an excellent job as Senior Tutor."

Dean of the College Harry R Lewis `68 reiterated support for Harte, whose Senior Tutor appointment follows that of Courtney Bickel Lamberth in Winthrop House and Michael R. Rodriguez in Adams House.

"Harte has had a distinguished record both as a tutor in the House and as a scholar, so it will be great to have him as part of the College administration and as a member of the teaching faculty," Lewis wrote in an e-mail.

--Staff writer Sarah A. Dolgonos can be reached at dolgonos@fas.harvard.edu.