PSLM’s Campaign Uses New Tactics

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

PSLM’s occupation of Mass. Hall is the organization’s first foray into a new breed of radical activism—a newer, sleeker, more media-savvy form of protest first seen in Seattle and Washington, D.C.

In the weeks of preparation leading up to Wednesday’s occupation, PSLM members met with lawyers and prepared briefing books on University administrators and what to do in case of arrest.

PSLM members scoffed at the “inadequate” preparations made by students at Tufts who occupied a building there last fall, saying that a lack of forethought led to the quick cessation of that sit-in.

So when PSLM stormed Mass. Hall on Wednesday, they came prepared to get their story out, with video cameras, digital cameras, laptops, and cell phones-complete with chargers to ensure continued communication.

From the first hour of the occupation, PSLM spokespeople have been contacting media outlets using prepared contact lists.

Protesters outside stood ready with 18-page press packets summarizing the group’s demands and a timeline of the Living Wage Campaign on campus.

By yesterday afternoon, protesters inside the building had rigged up two laptops with Internet access to help spread their demands. PSLM members uploaded digital pictures and video to independent media websites. Similarly, protesters have been in constant contact with similar organizations at other universities-helping to facilitate a solidarity protest at Yale.

Sitting amid half-opened peanut butter jars and piles of bread, the protesters continually pitched their stories to anyone and everyone.

However, except for stories on National Public Radio and in The Boston Globe, and a brief in The New York Times, PSLM had little success in attracting media attention. No television news crews have expressed interest in the story, according to University spokesperson Joe Wrinn.

Take Me to Your Leader

Since its birth, PSLM has never had an official hierarchy of officers or leaders. And in the past, the communal nature has worked well for the group-but the lack of a single voice has led to contention during their occupation of Mass. Hall.

Throughout, PSLM has tried to conduct business by consensus, with each of the three “affinity groups” inside the building meeting to decide the group’s stance on issues ranging from sleeping conditions to whether protesters can engage police in conversation. Then, once each group has decided, spokespeople from each group meet to decide on tactics.

Similarly, negotiations with police and administrators are carried out in front of the entire group-with any student free to speak up and veto the negotiations.

Harvard Police cut off negotiations with protesters yesterday morning, in part because officers could not figure out with whom they needed to negotiate.

And as the occupation continues, some protesters themselves are becoming frustrated with the governance-by-consensus, with group meetings increasingly devolving into personal squabbles as the occupation wears on.

When one protester objected to other students’ use of the receptionist’s computer, the group decided to stop using it altogether-simply because no one was interested in debating the topic among all 46 protestors.

—Staff writer Garrett M. Graff can be reached at ggraff@fas.harvard.edu.